The Michener Institute for Education at UHN encourages and supports students’ personal and professional growth opportunities beyond the classroom.
The Student Professional Development Grant is available to all full-time students at the Michener Institute on an individual basis.
The grant limit of up to $2,000.00 per student is subject to review and approval. Due to limited funds, not all requests that meet the established criteria will be approved. Michener reserves the right to determine high priority conferences on an annual basis, which may impact availability of funds.
The Student Professional Development Grant provides financial assistance to students at The Michener Institute to enrich their personal and professional experience, including but not limited to:
- Presenting at or participating in a conference or professional gathering related to their area of study or professional development
- Acquiring knowledge that benefits a student’s academic or professional development
- Representing a club, program or Michener at an academic competition
- Volunteering through a recognized organization utilizing program/profession competencies
- Professional Development funding is available to all full-time students in good standing at The Michener Institute who maintain their status during the time the funds are used.
- When participating in an activity as a group, each participating student must submit an individual type written application.
- Applications are reviewed for completeness and eligibility. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be accepted.
- Applications are to be submitted a minimum of 60 days prior to the start date of the event. Applications that do not meet this condition will be considered on a case by case basis.
- The grant will provide funding in accordance with Michener’s Expense Policy and Travel Approval procedures
- No retroactive funding is permitted.
- Where applicable, applicants must demonstrate that they have used Michener branded materials such as PowerPoint templates, font style and size, logos for posters or any other Michener branded promotional item.
Evidence of successful completion of the activity must be submitted to Michener and will be retained in the student’s file .Upon completion of your participation (either as an attendee or presenter) in a conference or workshop, you are required to complete the online survey of Faculty, Staff and Students Scholarship Activity.
In order to receive your reimbursement you must submit the following:
- All original receipts *Please note The Student Professional Development Grant does not cover meal expenses
- original boarding pass (if a flight was taken)
- name tag or original/official proof of attendance
These items must be submitted to Scholars@michener.ca (preferred method)
Office of the Registrar and Student Enrolment
The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
222 St. Patrick Street, Floor 5, Room 503
Toronto, Ontario, M5T 1V4
This process, in accordance with the Data Request and Scholarship Tracking Policy, has been established to track and catalogue scholarly activity to support a culture of scholarship at Michener.
Travel, conference, or other activities that include participation in a social or political protest are not eligible for funding
Obligations Upon Receiving Funding:
To apply fair and reasonable practices and to provide a framework for accountability it is mandatory that all rules and regulations regarding travel and any associated expenses, and the access and use of institutional data be followed and that appropriate documentation is presented for approval.
Please refer to the Michener Policies and Procedures at the links below.
Student PD Application Form must be completed in full. The form is a fillable PDF.
Registrar and Director of Enrollment
Dean of Students
A Program Chair (TBA)
All questions and complete applications (including supporting documentation) are to be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.