Clinical Laboratory Quality Manager Certificate
Clinical Laboratory Quality Manager Certificate:
at a glance
Laboratory Quality Management professionals are in short supply and high demand in the health care sector as clinical laboratories are required to designate a Quality Manager. The Clinical Laboratory Quality Manager Certificate is an online program that is based on the International Laboratory Standard (ISO15189). The program can be completed in 20 months if you enroll in one course per semester through five continuous semesters. All courses have CMLTO approval.
Clinical Laboratory Quality Managers are responsible for many quality issues in the clinical laboratory, including ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements, conducting gap analysis and developing, implementing and maintaining a quality management system. Concepts of quality management can be applied to lab settings-diagnostic, research and pharmaceutical – nationally and internationally.
The International Standard ISO 15189: Medical laboratories — Requirements for quality and competence, which forms the basis for Laboratory Accreditation requirements in Ontario, nationally and internationally, establishes the need for all clinical laboratories to designate a Quality Manager, resulting in the creation of new positions across the province, and in other jurisdictions, nationally and internationally.
Clinical Laboratory Quality Managers report directly to the level of management where decisions are made on laboratory policy and resources. It is an exciting career direction with considerable growth potential, as experienced laboratory managers are retiring, leaving few laboratory personnel with the necessary quality management skills to fill the position. Ontario is not the only province to emphasize quality management in the medical laboratory; Quality Managers are needed nationwide and it is likely that demand will grow internationally. As such, the online learning environment and comprehensive nature of the course content to international standards makes this an excellent program choice for individuals interested in Laboratory Quality Management around the world.
The courses included in Michener’s Clinical Laboratory Quality Manager Certificate program have been approved by the CMLTO.
The Michener Clinical Laboratory Quality Manager Certificate program is made up of five courses offered by the Department of Continuing Education in an online learning environment. Study on your own time and at your own pace and complete the program in twenty months if you enroll in one course per semester through five continuous semesters.
Maximum time to complete the program would be one course per year; that is 5 required courses, 5 years maximum to complete the certificate.
Graduates receive The Michener Institute’s Certificate for Clinical Laboratory Quality Managers.
Courses for the Clinical Laboratory Quality Manager Program are completed through continuing education on a course by course basis. Online courses are offered several times throughout the year. Many students wish to take these courses for interest only. You may register for these courses without applying for the certificate.
If you would like to be granted a certificate in this program, qualified students must meet the admission requirements as posted, including any language requirements, and must apply to the program with full supporting documentation.
This application can be made at any time, however please note that it will take one month for the Registrar’s Office to process the application. If you are seeking admission to the certificate program prior to registering for a course, please ensure you apply for the certificate one month before Registration closes for the course. Please keep in mind that some courses close before the registration date if their maximum capacity is met.
- Students must be licensed as an MLT in Canada OR
- Degree or diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology; AND
- A minimum of two years of laboratory work experience and/or documented prior training or experience in laboratory management or quality systems; AND
- Established skills in word processing, spreadsheet and electronic mail software.
- Students must have access to a computer that meets the minimum system requirements, access to the Internet and an e-mail account.
- Students must meet Michener’s English language proficiency policy. Please view the English Language Requirements for further information. If you require an English language assessment, please review our English Language Assessment page for specific requirements.
- If you are an international applicant, please visit Internationally Educated Applicants.
To apply, please submit the following documents to The Michener Institute:
- Completed Michener Application Form
- A copy of your current professional college registration or current professional certification as an MLT.
- A current resume documenting two years of laboratory work experience and/or prior training or experience in laboratory management or quality systems. Also include any relevant continuing education and statements of your familiarity with word processing, spreadsheets and e-mail software.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must provide proof of an English Language Assessment. If you are an international applicant, please visit Internationally Educated Applicants.
- $30.00 non-refundable application fee
Your application should be sent to:
Office of the Registrar – The Michener Institute
222 St. Patrick Street
Toronto, ON, M5T 1V4
Fax: (416) 596-3122
The Clinical Laboratory Quality Manager Certificate program was designed specifically to address the Quality System Essentials described by the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI QMS01), including the requirements of Ontario Laboratory Accreditation as well as those of other laboratory jurisdictions, and is the only program in Ontario with a clinical laboratory focus. Concepts of quality management can be applied to lab settings nationally and internationally.
- Design, implement, maintain and improve a quality management system
- Create a customized quality management system to meet the specific needs of your laboratory
- Refine fundamental skills-including communication skills, working with teams and the essentials of project management
- Use quality improvement tools and techniques, including process mapping, benchmarking, root cause analysis and gap analysis
These courses were designed to cover the Quality System Essentials described by the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI QMS01).