Diabetes in Children and Adolescents
ONLINE – login information will be emailed the week before the course start date
Approximately 16 weeks.
Bev Harris PDt , CDE
You will explore the period from diagnosis in a child through to adolescent development, covering:
- Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in children.
- Rarer forms of diabetes, including neonatal onset diabetes, Maturity Onset Diabetes of Youth (MODY), and diabetes associated with childhood conditions such as cystic fibrosis, celiac disease, Down’s Syndrome, and serious eating disorders.
- Age appropriate management and care.
- Psychosocial influences and issues.
- Techniques for effective communication with children and adolescents, and their families and support persons.
- Educational and behavior change strategies, and how to apply them in counseling children, parents and families.
|Evaluation Item||Due Date|
|Online discussions||Week 3-5
|Case Conference||Week 6-8|
|Online written assignment||Week 14|
|Web-based Final Examination||Week 15-16|
Practicing health professionals with knowledge of diabetes and its management. This course will build on basic knowledge already in place.
- Working knowledge of basic diabetes care and management
- Computer literacy
- Students must have access to a computer that meets the minimum system requirements, access to the Internet, and an e-mail account
- Access to and basic proficiency with a PDF reader, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint are also required as they are used to access course material and submit evaluation items
|Code||Course Title||Format||Tuition||Date(s)||Register By||Availability|
|DE801-800||Diabetes in Children & Adolescents||Online||$679.00||Oct-16-2017 to Jan-28-2018||Sep-29-2017||Open|