January 12, 2017
The Michener Institute is Canada’s only post-secondary institution devoted exclusively to the applied health sciences professions. In January 2016 the Michener Institute integrated with University Health Network and has become the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. Offering full-time, part-time and continuing education programs, The Michener Institute is committed to providing its students with Best Experience, Best Education. Through an innovative healthcare curriculum and an engaging learning environment, The Michener Institute prepares learners to become competent and highly skilled allied health professionals.
If you want to work with a team of professionals dedicated to the advancement of applied health sciences to enhance the health of individuals and communities in Ontario and beyond, we encourage you to apply for the Director of Research position with The Michener Institute.
Director of Research
The Director of Research is responsible for applied educational research and institutional analysis at the Michener Institute for Education at UHN. The Director reports to Senior Director, Learning, Innovation and Research.
Specifically, the Director will provide research leadership, promote and facilitate leading-edge educational research, including collaborative and interdisciplinary research. The Director will develop and lead an independent program of study aligned with Michener’s strategic educational research goals and priorities. It is expected that the successful candidate will apply for membership at the Wilson Centre for Educational Research and the University Health Network/University of Toronto.
- Research and Scholarship – The Director will enhance research capacity and increase internal and external research opportunities for faculty, students and clinical partners; develop networks between the research centre and researchers in the field in the public and private sectors, locally, nationally and internationally; act as the nexus between the Michener Institute for Education at UHN and the community with respect to research initiatives of mutual benefit and where applicable, develop mutually beneficial linkages with industry in order to develop partnerships and collaborative research including collaboration with the Wilson Centre for Educational Research. Provides oversight and leadership of Michener’s Research Ethics Board.
- Institutional Analysis – The Director will ensure the integrity, accuracy, consistency and appropriate/ethical use of institutional data. The Research Director oversees the IA function to ensure information collection, analysis and dissemination supports evidence-based decision making in a variety of areas, including: enrolment management, resource allocation, key performance indicators, management indicators, Strategic Mandate Agreement indicators, outcomes assessment, quality assurance, academic research, academic program reviews and space allocation.
- Supervision of Research Staff
- Supporting faculty and student recruitment and retention by enriching the research environment
- Advancing curriculum
- Advancing the scholarship of teaching and learning and innovation
- Mounting workshops and seminars
- Providing interdisciplinary research training and mentoring for students and faculty
- Providing strategic and administrative leadership
- Encouraging and supporting the raising of funds for research conducted
- At minimum, a completion of a PhD degree program
- At a minimum 5 years research experience
- Proven track record in research methods, publication and grant writing
- Proven leadership ability leading teams for success
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, excellent organization, prioritization skills, good computer skills, ability to learn quickly and work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of applicable legislative and ethical policies governing research
- Proficiency with MS Office, Excel, Power Point; SAS and SPSS experience preferred
- Satisfactory Canadian Police Clearance document required upon hire
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a detailed resume and cover letter noting posting #16-19FTR to:
The Michener Institute
222 St. Patrick Street
Toronto, ON, M5T 1V4
For further information on The Michener Institute, please visit our website at www.michener.ca.
The Michener Institute is publicly funded by the Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care and is an equal opportunity employer. We offer accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process.
While we thank all applicants only those selected for an interview will be contacted.