June 9, 2017
The Michener Institute is Canada’s only post-secondary institution devoted exclusively to the applied health sciences professions. In January 2016 the Michener Institute integrated with University Health Network and has become the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. Offering full-time, part-time and continuing education programs, The Michener Institute is committed to providing its students with Best Experience, Best Education. Through an innovative healthcare curriculum and an engaging learning environment, The Michener Institute prepares learners to become competent and highly skilled allied health professionals.
If you want to work with a team of professionals dedicated to the advancement of applied health sciences to enhance the health of individuals and communities in Ontario and beyond, we encourage you to apply for the Registrar position with The Michener Institute.
This position reports and is a key resource to the Senior Director, Academic Operations & Quality and Dean of Students. The Registrar is accountable and responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the Office of Registrar and Student Enrolment Services, specifically:
- Leads registration and enrolment services including recruitment, inquiry, admissions, registration, financial aid and awards, academic appeals and petitions, scheduling and statistics, records and data analysis, examination, and convocation services for Michener
- Provides recommendations and advice to Senior management with respect to strategic and innovative direction for effective enrolment management and registrar services
- Actively participates in the growth and evolution of the Institute and is involved in the change processes focused on excellence, best practice and continuous improvement for students, faculty and staff
- Develops collaborative working relationships with internal partners to ensure integrated delivery of student services
- Consults regularly with academic program units to revise and develop new effective procedures to support student admissions and retention plans
- Directs the activities of departmental staff, while fostering a culture of communication, teamwork and strong performance
- Provides leadership for the development and application of institute policies related to applicant and student interactions with the institute ensuring caring, learning, integrity and respect are entrenched in and consistent with Ministry directives.
- Oversees the student information system: reviews, assesses and implements SIS process improvements to ensure efficiency and access to accurate reports for institutional and Ministry (MAESD, MOHLTC, OCAS and OSAP) reporting.
- Reviews, assesses and ensures various information systems integrate, i.e. scheduling program, room booking, student portal, learning management system.
- Develops a positive customer oriented service by providing training, support, coaching, recognition and engagement of staff
- Prepares and administers all aspects of departmental operating and capital budgets and staffing
- Chairs Scholarship and Bursaries Committee
- Relates professionally with Registrars and Enrolment Directors across Canada
- Graduate degree in law, public administration, accounting or political science or an acceptable combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience, with at least 3 years’ experience in a similar leadership role
- Strong understanding of/ or work experience in an academic institution (e.g. curriculum development)
- Comfortable with interpreting policy and procedures and their development; familiar with conduct and process development
- Brings a systems thinking perspective and ability to decipher and to understand the interconnectedness of various processes and structures within the organization
- Experience managing budgets, writing business plans, contributing to and executing strategic plans
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to communicate effectively, and develop collaborative working relationships with students, co-workers and staff, senior administrators, and external clients
- Ability and commitment to enhancing the quality of the post-secondary education life cycle experience for students and staff
- Strong organizational planning, and time management skills
- Good judgment and investigative skills; independent critical decision making skills
- Advanced knowledge of MS office suite Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, Student Information/Management Systems, Relational Data Bases, Scheduling software
- Experience with accreditation processes and cycles a definite asset
- Satisfactory Canadian Police Clearance document required upon hire
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a detailed resume and cover letter noting posting #17-11FTRto:
The Michener Institute
222 St. Patrick Street
Toronto, ON, M5T 1V4
For further information on The Michener Institute, please visit our website at www.michener.ca.
The Michener Institute is publicly funded by the Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care and is an equal opportunity employer. We offer accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process.
While we thank all applicants only those selected for an interview will be contacted.