Attendance Policy and Procedure
Attendance Policy and Procedure
|Approval Date||October 23, 2013|
|Effective Date||September 2, 2014|
The policy applies to all full-time and part-time students in all programs in all settings.
Michener believes that a student will make reasonable and informed decisions regarding his or her attendance in scheduled sessions. Theoretical curricula, which may be presented in lectures, seminars or tutorials, and practical laboratory, simulation or clinical experiences, are essential.
Learning activities are designed to assist students in achieving the competency levels required of an entry-level professional. Achieving these levels of competency can be more readily attained when a student attends and participates fully in all learning activities.
Attendance in all laboratory, simulation and clinical sessions is mandatory. Course outlines will identify any other specific attendance requirements in the grading information.
Failure to attend scheduled laboratory, simulation and clinical sessions, except where supported with documentation of unavoidable cause, can result in a loss of marks, the awarding of a failing grade for a course, up to and including permanent withdrawal from the program. Permanent withdrawal may occur at any point during the academic session.
Please note: For OSAP approved programs students are required to attend all scheduled classes and placements. A student who is in receipt of funding from the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), who has not attended twenty eight (28) consecutive days of scheduled classes, is deemed withdrawn from the program for OSAP purposes and is reported to the Ministry with student’s last day of full-time attendance. Such absence will affect student’s eligibility for OSAP assistance.
- When a student must be absent from a laboratory, simulation or clinical session, the student must inform the designated program contact prior to the start of the scheduled session. When a student must be absent from a clinical session, the student must inform the clinical coordinator or his/her designate prior to the start of the clinical shift on the day of the absence. When possible, 8 hours’ notice of an absence is preferred.
- Valid documents supporting the missing classes must be submitted to the designated program contact/Health Nurse.
- For OSAP approved programs, Program Area must inform the Financial Aid Administrator of any student absence regardless of the length or reason of absence. Where it is deemed to impact the students’ studies adversely, the Program will provide the Financial Aid Administrator with a written plan (email) to demonstrate how the missed course requirements will be completed by the study period end date.
- As required by the Ministry, OSAP matters must be handled by an authorized appointed Financial Aid Administrator. Therefore, under all circumstances program / SSN must refer students to the Financial Aid Administrator for any OSAP and Tuition Fees matters.
- Due to the confidentiality reasons, Program / SSN will not ask students to provide information whether students is receiving OSAP assistance.
Examples of unavoidable cause include:
- Serious illness or injury supported by a medical certificate submitted to the Michener Health Nurse on day of return to school. An acceptable alternative to a doctor’s certificate may be a consultation with and note from the Michener Health Nurse.
- Death of a member of the immediate family, supported by a death certificate.
|Date||Reviewer||Change(s) Made||Policy Location(s)|
|March 28, 2011||Pinar Peacock and Sydney Redpath||Document formatted|
|October 15, 2013||Nandita Aurora||Content update|