|Approval Date||July 14, 2014|
|Effective Date||September 2, 2014|
Michener full-time and part-time students, applicants, potential students, and alumni.
The Michener Institute is committed to the protection of personal information and privacy and will keep personal information in our possession, custody or control, including information that may be disclosed to third parties, private, accurate and secure.
This policy was developed to confirm Michener’s commitment to the protection of personal information.
Why we collect, use and disclose personal information about you
We will only collect, use or disclose personal information as is reasonably necessary to the administration of The Michener Institute, its academic or other programs, or as may be required by virtue of data collection or reporting requirements lawfully imposed upon The Michener Institute.
The Michener Institutes wishes to ensure that you understand and consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. You may be asked to express your consent in a variety of ways including written, electronic (i.e. via email) and oral consent. There are times when your permission to collect, use and disclose information is not required, or may be implied from the circumstances. For example, legal, medical or security reasons may make it impossible or impractical to obtain your consent.
You may withdraw your consent at any time upon notice in writing at the contact listed below. However, it is necessary to collect, use and disclose personal information for reasonable purposes connected to the administration of The Michener Institute and the academic relationship. Withdrawing or refusing your consent to collect, use or disclose personal information may affect your continued relationship with The Michener Institute, including your enrollment and continued studies.
Collection of Personal Information
The Michener Institute will only collect personal information:
- That is reasonably necessary to the above identified purpose;
- Where the person has consented to its collection; or
- As otherwise required by law.
Use of Personal Information
The Michener Institute will only use personal information in its custody or under its control:
- Where the person has consented to its use;
- For the above purpose for which it was obtained or compiled;
- For statistical analysis;
- Where the information is necessary and proper in the discharge of The Michener Institute’s functions and responsibilities; or
- As otherwise required by law.
Disclosure of Personal Information
The Michener Institute will only disclose information:
- Where the disclosure is in accordance with the above general purpose and the disclosure is reasonably necessary to the discharge of The Michener Institute’s functions and responsibilities;
- With your consent;
- For purposes of complying with a lawful requirement to provide information;
- Where disclosure is necessary to investigate an allegation that a person has made false statements or engaged in other misleading or dishonest conduct relating to their attendance, performance or completion of an academic program, or membership in a professional organization;
- Where disclosure is made to another educational institution or to a professional licensing authority or board of certification or similar institute;
- In compassionate circumstances necessary to protect the health and safety of the individual; or
- As required by law.
The above limitation on disclosure does not apply to possible disclosure of the fact that an individual is, or is not, or was or was not, registered in an academic program, or to the fact that an individual has or has not successfully graduated or completed a program on a particular date. Academic transcripts will not be released without written request and/or consent of the individual if the transcript is for a third party.
Accessing Your Personal Information
You may access your information by submitting a request in writing. There are times when The Michener Institute will refuse access to personal information, including, among other circumstances, where the access request would disclose information about another person, where the information was collected in the course of an investigation into a breach of an agreement or law, or where the information is subject to legal privilege.
Access to and disclosure of academic records is subject to The Michener Institute’s policy on academic records. You may obtain a copy of your transcript from the Registrar’s office.
Accuracy of Personal Information
The Michener Institute takes all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate. You may request corrections to inaccurate personal information by submitting a request in writing to The Michener Institute.
Retention of Personal Information
The Michener Institute will only keep personal information for as long as necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. Where your personal information is no longer needed for its specified purpose or legal requirements, it will be destroyed.
Security of Personal Information
The Michener Institute is responsible for safeguarding your personal information from loss, theft, unauthorized access or disclosure or modification and will take all reasonable measure to ensure the security of your personal information. These safeguards vary depending upon the sensitivity, format and storage of the personal information. The Michener Institute uses password protocols and encryption software to protect personal information when a product or service is requested and/or paid for online.
Notwithstanding anything in this policy, it is a condition of your enrollment that you consent, irrevocably, to the collection, use and disclosure of information contained in your academic records as required for academic purposes, such as but not limited to promotion review at the end of each semester.
In respect of files of applicants who are not admitted to The Michener Institute, such files are the property of The Michener Institute. The Michener Institute retains the right to refuse to disclose these files to any person except under Court Order or other legal requirement, and to keep confidential any transcripts or letters of reference that were provided on a confidential basis. These records are kept for 12 months before they are destroyed.
The Director, Student Enrolment and Registrar shall be the point of contact for all matters that relate to this policy.
“Personal Information” is defined as information about an identifiable individual and may include:
- Any identifying number, symbol or other identifier assigned to the individual;
- Information related to the race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability or marital or family status of the individual;
- The home address or telephone number of the student, applicant, alumni The individual’s personal opinions or views, or the views or opinions of another person about the individual;
- Correspondence or other communications received from the individual that is implicitly or explicitly confidential, and replies to them that would reveal the contents of the originals;
- Information relating to the educational, medical, psychiatric, psychological, or employment history of the individual or about financial transactions involving the individual, such as but not limited to OSAP applications, bursary applications or tuition payments; or
- The individual’s name where it appears with other personal information relating to the individual or where the disclosure of the name would reveal other personal information about the individual.
- Request for Transcript
- Reference Request Form
- Student Consent
- Official Withdrawal Form
- Academic and Non-Academic Appeal Form
- Application for Readmission Form
|Date||Reviewer||Change(s) Made||Policy Location(s)|
|February 3, 2011||Robin Darling||Transferred to new template & table of contents created|
|July 14, 2014||Academic Approval Council||Reworded to create separate student focused policy|