Student Readmission Procedure
Student Readmission Procedure
|Approval Date||July 14, 2014|
|Effective Date||September 2, 2014|
This procedure is to clarify the current Academic Standing Policy as it relates specifically to students choosing to reapply to either the same or a different program of study. This does not affect students who have interrupted their studies due to a temporary leave of absence. Students may only reapply to The Michener Institute once and we must ensure that any prior issues relating to a lack of academic progress are addressed prior to allowing students to return.
If applying to re-admit to the same program the student was enrolled in at the time of their academic suspension:
- Terms for re-admission are provided by the Promotions Review Committee (PRC )and the Academic Chair. Copies of the notification letters are kept on file as part of the student’s record.
- The student notifies the Registrar’s Office regarding his/her intent to apply for re-admission to Michener by completing and submitting an Application for Re-admission and a non-refundable $500 deposit payment.
- The Admissions Office will review the candidate’s re-admission application to ensure all terms of readmission have been fulfilled. If approved a student may be allowed to re-admit after having completed their terms of academic suspension.
- Upon re-admission, the student will be placed on academic probation II and will be subject to The Michener Institute’s Academic Standards Policy. Students will remain on probation until the Promotions Review Committee meeting at the end of the semester where they will either progress in good standing (GPA greater than 2.0), on Probation I or be required to withdraw permanently.
If applying to re-admit to a different program at The Michener Institute, the following also applies:
- After it has been determined that the candidate has fulfilled all the terms outlined in their letter of suspension and after it has been determined that the candidate is eligible to apply for re-admission, they must apply through the Ontario Colleges Application Service as a year 1 student. The candidate will be assessed and ranked along with all others in the incoming cohort (or as indicated on suspension letter). Admission is not guaranteed for a student choosing to reapply to an alternate program choice.
A student who applies for re-admission is not guaranteed he/she will be successful in gaining admission. Each student’s conditions for readmission are different and as such each application is viewed independently. If a student is successful in his/her application for re-admission, a Learning Plan II will be developed by the student’s Program Communications Liaison (PCL) and their Chair.
Failure by the Institute to properly evaluate the application for re-admission may result in a student being placed back into the same circumstances which contributed to their prior lack of success.
- Academic Standing Policy
- Admissions Information
- Application for Readmission Form
- Leave of Absence Policy
- Leave of Absence Procedure
- Student File (from the Office of the Registrar)
- Promotions Review Committee Terms of Reference
- Letter of Readmission template
- Checklist for Chairs (Drafting the Letter)
|Date||Reviewer||Change(s) Made||Policy Location(s)|
|February 23, 2011||Bill Pitman||Document Revised|
|March 21, 2011||Academic Approval Council||Approved|
|July 5, 2012||Academic Approval Council||Approved|
|July 14, 2014||Academic Approval Council||Streamline process; build in communication consistency and accuracy between Chairs and students; implement non-refundable deposit of $500|