|Approval Date||April 2, 2014|
|Effective Date||September 2, 2014|
The policy applies to all full-time and part-time students in all programs in all settings.
A student may request to:
- withdraw their application to Michener prior to fees being paid and prior to being enrolled into any classes
- withdraw from Michener after they have paid fees and/or being enrolled in classes
- withdraw from Michener at any point in their program of study
Each of these requests has specific financial and academic implications for the student. A student initiated withdrawal is considered a permanent withdrawal. Students who wish to withdraw with the intention of returning must submit a Leave of Absence request. A Leave of Absence is subject to the Withdrawal Policy timeline described below.
Students who withdraw:
- Before the official start of classes for any given semester and up to 10 days of the beginning of a semester, may officially withdraw from Michener and receive a full refund of their tuition (less the non-refundable tuition deposit for first year students). There is no academic penalty and nothing will appear on a student’s transcript.
- From the 11th day of classes to the 20th will receive a refund of 60 per cent of tuition fees paid, (less the tuition deposit for first year, first semester students). Tuition fees paid for any future semesters will be refunded. There is no academic penalty and a grade of W (Withdrawn) will appear on the student’s transcript.
- After the 20th day of classes, but before the end of the 7th week of scheduled classes, will receive no tuition refund for the current semester. (Refer to the important date’s calendar for the exact date for each semester). Tuition fees paid for any future semesters will be refunded in full. There will be no academic penalty and no impact on the overall GPA on a student’s record for withdrawing within this timeframe. A grade of W (Withdrawn) will appear on a student’s transcript.
- After the 7th week of scheduled classes until the last day of classes, will receive no tuition refund for the current semester. Tuition fees paid for any future semesters will be refunded in full. Students will receive a grade of WF (Withdraw Failing), excluding the February break week if withdrawing during the winter semester. This will appear on a student’s transcript and this grade will factor into the overall GPA of a student.
- After the last day of classes, a student may not withdraw from a course or program. The grade(s) earned at that time will appear on a student’s transcript and will factor into the overall GPA on a student’s record. Tuition fees paid for any future semesters will be refunded.
NOTE: Students who are granted supplemental activity (and are unsuccessful) have until their grades are determined and a GPA is calculated to withdraw from their subsequent semester courses for a full refund of that semester’s tuition.
Students who are returning to Michener after any kind of leave will follow the same schedule as above.
The effective date of withdrawal is the date the withdrawal form is received and date-stamped by the Office of the Registrar.
A student who stops attending classes or clinical placement, without completing an official withdrawal form, will be considered withdrawn from the program and will receive a failing grade for each course in that session. No tuition refund will be considered.
For students in receipt of funding from the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), the Office of the Registrar will notify the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities of all withdrawals. Students who have deferred their tuition payment to coincide with their OSAP funding are responsible for any fees accrued according the schedule above.
- Application for Readmission Form
- Attendance Policy and Procedure
- Leave of Absence Policy
- Organizational calendar
- Student Readmission Policy
- Student Readmission Procedure
- Withdrawal Procedure
- Official Withdrawal Form
|Date||Reviewer||Change(s) Made||Policy Location(s)|
|February 22, 2011||Bill Pitman||Document Revised|
|March 21, 2011||Academic Approval Council||Approved|
|October 23, 2013||Academic Approval Council||Clarified connection to Leave of Absence policy|
|April 2, 2014||Academic Approval Council||Made changes to correspond to MTCU revised guidelines|