Diagnostic Sonographer I
Alberta Health Services
Red Deer Regional Hospital
Healthy Albertans. Healthy Communities. Together.
Reporting to the DI Department Coordinator in Red Deer AB, the Diagnostic Sonographer I performs general and complex ultrasound services such as abdominal, obstetrical, gynecological, and small parts, adult only) and is responsible for obtaining ultrasound images of diagnostic quality, and for analyzing those images for abnormalities. This assists with diagnosis, clinical intervention and patient management.
As the Diagnostic Sonographer I you will perform skilled technical work in the diagnostic ultrasound area in accordance with policies, standards, and regulations. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to work within a strong inter-professional team environment and communicate with Radiologists and Cardiologists, and other medical staff while providing ultrasound images and technical impressions in both routine and emergency situations.
About Red Deer
Red Deer is Alberta’s third largest city with a population of 100,418 and is located along the QEII Highway between Calgary and Edmonton. Some of the amenities within the city of Red Deer include, the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame and Museum, as well as, the Sunnybrook Farm Museum, Fort Normandeau, the Kerry Wood Nature Centre, and the Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery. There are also several multi-use recreational centres including the Collicutt Centre, G.H. Dawe Community Centre and Michener Aquatic Centre, great for families of all ages. This beautiful city has all the amenities you could need and still offers a small town, friendly feel.
Alberta Health Services (AHS), the largest health care provider in the country, is an organization focused on providing safe, high-quality, patient- and family-centred care. We achieve this with our workforce of more than 108,000 employees, 7,700 medical staff and 15,600 volunteers who are dedicated to serving a population of 4.1 million Albertans.
AHS Cares represents our five core values in action. These values, compassion, accountability, respect, excellence, and safety, are at the heart of everything we do. They inspire, empower, and guide how we work together with patients, clients, families, and each other. At AHS, we are living our values. Together.
Under minimal supervision of the Department Supervisor, the Diagnostic Sonographer I:
- Effectively works and communicates with the Radiologists, as images and technical impressions produced by the Diagnostic Sonographer are provided to the attending Radiologist for interpretation.
- Attends and participates in meetings, conferences, and in-services as required.
- Performs preventative maintenance of assigned equipment and quality control testing as assigned, and as per guidelines.
- Works cohesively with other healthcare professionals within a multidisciplinary facility.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Graduate of a recognized Sonography Canada diagnostic ultrasound training program of at least one year duration.
- Valid CARDUP registration in abdomen, pelvis, OB and small parts.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support- Healthcare Provider (BCLS-HCP).
- Registration with the Canadian Association of Registered Diagnostic Ultrasound Professionals (CARDUP), and Sonography Canada.
Other key competencies for this role include:
- Echocardiography training and experience may be an asset.
- Active member of Alberta Diagnostic Sonographers Association (ADSA).
Please apply to this position directly to the Alberta Health Services job board, located here: https://albertahealthservices.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=454372