Medical Lab Technologist – Molecular Genetics
The Hospital for Sick Children
Dedicated exclusively to children and their families, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) is one of the largest and most respected paediatric healthcare centres in the world. As innovators in child health, we lead and partner to improve the health of children through the integration of healthcare, leading-edge research and education. Our reputation would not have been built – nor could it be maintained – without the skills, knowledge and experience of the extraordinary people who come to work here every day. SickKids is committed to ongoing learning and development, and features a caring and supportive work environment that combines exceptionally high standards of practice.When you join SickKids, you become part of our community. We share a commitment and determination to fulfill our vision of Healthier Children. A Better World.Don’t miss out on the opportunity to work alongside the world’s best in paediatric healthcare.
The Molecular Genetics Medical Lab Technologist performs and is responsible for a variety of laboratory tests and procedures and acts in accordance with the mission, vision, values and goals of the Department of Paediatric Laboratory Medicine and those of the Hospital.
• Perform a variety of laboratory tests and procedures accurately and precisely within defined time expectations (TATs)
• Operate and maintain equipment and perform minor troubleshooting procedures
• Recognize failure, troubleshoot, document, and take remedial action, within the scope of practice, as required
• Report failures, issues & action taken to immediate supervisor
• Recognize abnormal and critical results, and take appropriate actions according to the established SOP, as required
• Follow inventory control system and notify appropriate person to ensure availability of adequate reagents and supplies
• Participate in the development, validation and implementation of the policies, processes and procedures within the Quality System to support the effective operation of the DPLM
• Perform Quality Control (QC) and Quality Assurance (QA) procedures to ensure the lab testing meets established requirements and standards.
• Recognize unusual QC results, take remedial action and document outcome
• Report ongoing or unresolved QC issues to immediate supervisor
• Participate in professional development and teaching/education activities as assigned
• Comply with DPLM and Sickkids safety guidelines and quality improvement programs
• Applicants for positions are required to produce a certificate of registration from the College of Medical Laboratory Technology of Ontario (CMLTO) with endorsement in the disciplines of Molecular Genetics and/or Cytogenetics
• Solid technical skills and theoretical knowledge within the specialty applied for
• Solid computer skills (E.g. Laboratory Information System, Microsoft Office Applications)
• Demonstrated troubleshooting and problem solving skills
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Ability to work well under pressure, prioritize issues and workload, and complete assigned tasks
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with a focus on interaction with Laboratory staff
• Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and adaptable to new technologies and processes
• Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to make decisions based on knowledge and experience
• Ability to demonstrate procedures to other employees, fellows and students
• Flexibility to meet operational requirements, including hours of work
• Proven ability to attend work regularly
Full-Time, Temporary Employment (13 month contract, 37.5 hours per week)
This position offers health and dental coverage, vacation time, sick time, and personal days.
Our Commitment to Diversity
SickKids is strongly committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups and others who may contribute to diversity within our organization.
SickKids is also committed to providing services in both official languages and our preference is to hire employees who are fluent in both English and French whenever possible.
Thank you for your interest in joining SickKids. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with our Hospital policy, employment at SickKids is conditional upon the Hospital’s receipt of all necessary documentation.
How to Apply
Please apply directly on the SickKids Careers page: https://career.sickkids.ca/psp/CRPRD/CAREER/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=7288&PostingSeq=1
Tip: Combine your cover letter and resume into ONE document as you cannot upload multiple documents as part of your application.
If you are still experiencing technical difficulties please email email@example.com to send us a short description of the issues you are experiencing. Please note that we will not accept resumes sent to this inbox but we are happy to respond to requests for technical assistance.