Medical Laboratory Technologist, Molecular Genetics and/or Cytogenetics
Kingston General Hospital
Within the laboratories of Kingston General Hospital (KGH), incumbents will support an environment of quality service reflective of the Mission, Vision, Philosophy, and Values of KGH, which enables the Clinical Laboratory Services Team to be “committed to our communities, and to be the most highly valued and respected academic health centre”. Incumbents of the laboratories will assist in carrying out the strategic direction of the Department through helping with the continual improvement of patient focused services. Incumbents will assist in identifying opportunities for improvement, facilitate and implement Departmental Continuous Improvement initiatives by challenging the process, inspiring a shared vision, enabling other to act, modeling the way, and encouraging the heart. Incumbents will participate and/or facilitate work related committees for process improvement, accreditation, or other as required. The incumbent is energized by change. Performs laboratory analyses requiring technical skills and knowledge. Exercise independent judgment on testing on a variety of specimens. Provide assistance to Pathologists, Laboratory Physicians and Laboratory Scientists in performing certain delegated medical acts related to the laboratory discipline in which the incumbent is assigned.
Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston General Hospital strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
• Performs specimen handling and processing.
• Performs Lab Testing in Chemistry, Hematology, Coagulation, Blood Bank, Microbiology, Histology, Cytology, Molecular Genetics or Cytogenetics depending on Clinical Lab assignment.
• Performs repeat testing where required.
• Responsible for verifying, reporting and releasing of all results by self,
• Phones and documents phone call of abnormal and critical lab results based on established policies and procedures
• Performs Quality Control and Quality Assurance procedures to ensure Lab testing meets established requirements and standards.
• Ensures efficient use of laboratory supplies and reagents.
• Monitors supplies inventory to ensure adequate supply is maintained. Notifies appropriate person when re-orders are required.
• Performs and documents routine equipment maintenance and performs minor troubleshooting procedures.
• Provides guidance and supervision to Laboratory Assistants where required
• Applicants for positions in the Department of Genetics Services are required to produce a certificate of registration from the College of Medical Laboratory Technology of Ontario with endorsement in the disciplines of Cytogenetics and/or Molecular Genetics.
• Demonstrable skills in the discipline applied for.
• Demonstrated interest in personal professional development.
• Computer skills to include Lab Information System and Microsoft Office applications.
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with a focus on interaction with Laboratory staff and internal and external health professionals.
• Diplomacy and understanding others’ view points.
• Flexibility to meet operational requirements, including hours of work, location and accessibility to staff.
• Must be highly motivated.
• A strong team player, with the ability to perform duties independently.
• Proven ability to attend work regularly.
• Successful criminal record check required
Full time, rotating shifts
$30.04 - $40.27 per hour
This is unionized position under OPSEU444.
Lead Recruitment Advisor
76 Stuart Street, Kingston, Ontario K7L 2V7
613-549-6666, ext 4652