Phlebotomist, Canadian Blood Services
Canadian Blood Services
Toronto, Mississauga, Oshawa & Richmond Hill
The Phlebotomist will perform assigned duties to assist in the collection of blood components as well as other related functions within the Clinic Services Department. The incumbent must provide excellent customer service, practice good judgment, and promote objectives.
- Obtains capillary blood sample and performs Hgb screening test.
- Assembles and prepares appropriate collection supplies, equipment and records.
- Prepares donors for blood component collection and verifies that the Record of Donation is complete.
- Performs phlebotomy. Monitors the donor, the functioning of equipment and blood flow.
- Labels collection packs and specimen tubes, and assists in preparing accompanying records.
- Seals, segments, prepares and packs units of blood for delivery to Production Laboratory.
- Assists with post donation care and donor reaction care.
- Packs, orders, reconciles and restocks supplies.
- Performs clerical functions related to clinic collections.
- Assists with loading, unloading and carrying of collection equipment and supplies.
- Sets up and dismantles equipment and supplies.
- Secondary School diploma is required.
- Completed, or as a condition of employment, successfully completes post secondary courses at an officially recognized community college or technical institution, designated by the Employer, related to phlebotomy, and completed a minimum of one year of experience in performing phlebotomy.
- Alternatively, successful completion, in house supervised training in phlebotomy by qualified personnel in accordance with established guidelines by the Employer.
- The ability to effectively communicate with staff, volunteers, and donors, in English, is essential.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills are required.
- Relevant computer skills are required.
- The position requires the ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, carry supplies, and move equipment.
- Must be available to work variable shifts (4 to 12 hours), days, evenings and weekends.
There are multiple positions being recruited at 4 different locations - Toronto, Mississauga, Oshawa and Richmond Hill. Please click on the link below to apply directly online.