The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
In 2016, The Michener Institute for Applied Health sciences integrated with University Health Network to become The Michener Institute of Education at UHN. This Canadian-first model for health care education brings together a diploma-granting education institution with an academic health sciences network within a single organization.
The Michener Institute plays a significant role in anticipating and meeting health labour force needs. The integration between Michener and UHN strengthens that role by more deeply embedding teaching in daily clinical practice and research and the country’s biggest teaching hospital and health facility.
Integration presents an opportunity to develop a model of health care education that will:
- Strengthen the role of education as a fundamental part of Ontario’s health system, ensuring quality care and patient safety;
- Create the capacity to rapidly adapt health professional training to meet pressing challenges and to seize new opportunities for innovative health care education solutions;
- Leverage expertise, capacity, scope and scale across the health care continuum by integrating both organizations, which already have established a strong and rich history of partnership and collaboration and which share similar commitments to quality education; and
- Integrate education, research and clinical practice; and
- Be the ‘go-to’ applied health solution provider for Ontario.
As we move forward together with UHN, Michener is poised to have a lasting influence on our health care system. Our students, and the commitment to exceptional student experiences, remain at the heart of this vision.Education at UHN