Print and Audiovisual Collection
The Learning Resource Centre (LRC) supports learning at Michener with a collection of books and print journals, including special collections for examination review guides, laboratory standards, and government documents. An extensive audiovisual collection is also available, and individual viewing facilities are provided.
Our catalogue facilitates searching our book and audiovisual collections, eBooks, Dry Lab collection, and print and electronic journal titles.
Full-text electronic journals and indexes (PubMed, CINAHL) are accessible from our Journal Databases page. Some titles are freely available, while others require authentication and are limited to students with Michener network/Outlook accounts.
Printing and Photocopying
Printing and photocopying is available to students using their Michener ID card at 10¢ per page. Copying is subject to the limits of the fair dealing provision in the Copyright Act.
For information and advice consult our guide on Vancouver Style or APA Style referencing, or contact LRC staff. Michener students have access to RefWorks, a web-based bibliographic citation manager that allow users to import, store and manage citations (references) and then create bibliographies/reference pages formatted in either Vancouver or APA Style, or one of several other styles available.
Materials not available in the LRC may be borrowed from other health sciences libraries. Any charges by the lending library will be paid by the student. Contact LRC staff to request an interlibrary loan.
Registering to Borrow from Print Collection
- Students in on-site programs are issued photo ID cards automatically – these serve as library cards.
- Continuing education students who register for occasional courses may register in person at the LRC by presenting a course receipt.
- Distance students may register over the telephone at 416-596-3123 or 1-800-387-9066, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Books and journals may be borrowed for one week. Exceptions:
- Reference books may be used within the LRC only. Find them on the self-serve shelves.
- Short term loan books may be used within the LRC only. Ask for them at the circulation desk.
- Audiovisual materials may be viewed within the LRC only.
There is a fine of $0.50 per day per item for circulating books and journals returned late or renewed late. We charge for the replacement of lost items, based on its current market value plus an administrative fee
Services For Distance Students
Michener resources: We will send most of our books (except reference and short term loans), print journals and audiovisual materials by mail or courier to students living within Canada* but outside of the Greater Toronto Area. Students may place a request by telephone at 416-596-3123 or 1-800-387-9066, or at email@example.com. The loan period is one week, plus shipping time. Loans may be renewed up to 3 times.
Interlibrary loans: We provide services for obtaining journal articles from other libraries. Students may be required to pay the costs for some of these articles. Unfortunately, we are unable to arrange for interlibrary loans of books because of time limitations, but we recommend that students arrange these loans through their library services at work or via a local public library.
* International students please contact the LRC for alternate arrangements.