September 14, 2018
The Michener Institute is Canada’s only post-secondary institution devoted exclusively to the applied health sciences professions. In January 2016 the Michener Institute integrated with University Health Network and has become the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. Offering full-time, part-time and continuing education programs, The Michener Institute is committed to providing its students with Best Experience, Best Education. Through an innovative healthcare curriculum and an engaging learning environment, The Michener Institute prepares learners to become competent and highly skilled allied health professionals.
DIRECTOR of FINANCE (Full Time)
If you want to lead and work with a team of professionals dedicated to the advancement of applied health sciences to enhance the health of individuals and communities in Ontario and beyond, we encourage you to apply for the Director of Finance position with The Michener Institute.
- Provide financial oversight, strategic and tactical business support and lead the operational planning and forecasting for Michener. Ensure appropriate financial policies, procedures and metrics are in place to deliver exemplary service and monitor performance
- Oversee the administration, reporting and compliance for the operations grants and endowed funds. Identify risks related to grant and operational accounts and provide recommendation on course of corrective action
- Lead, provide direction and coaching to highly motivated finance team. Establish departmental goals and objectives, developing short and long term plans, while monitoring and evaluating the progress in achieving these plans
- Oversees UHN’s year-end audit and other special audits. Work closely with Internal and External Auditors to ensure appropriate internal controls to safeguard assets and reputation, for accurate financial reporting and for compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements. Ensure all funds are accounted for in accordance with GAAP and internal policies
- Drive continuous process improvements to ensure efficient use and stewardship of resources and effective use of technology.
- Develop meaningful, accurate, and timely financial reports, analysis and presentations to fulfill senior management, Board and Board Committee requirements.
- Provides UHN’s Corporate Finance Team with required reporting
- Oversees management of the cash flow and balance sheet with particular emphasis Working Capital
- Contribute to the broader educational and research mandates through participation in enterprise wide projects and committees
- A university degree in business (or related discipline) from a recognized and accredited educational institution. A post-graduate degree in business management or healthcare administration would be an asset
- Recognized professional accounting designation; CPA, CA or equivalent
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively senior financial management experience in a complex organization.
- Strong business acumen with solid experience in business management, operations, financial planning, performance measurement and budgeting functions
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to articulate complex financial issues to a broad and diverse audience
- Ability to work and thrive in a changing environment while experiencing financial constraints
- Capacity to build partnerships, work collaboratively and effectively communicate to diverse groups both within and external to Michener and UHN
- High emotional intelligence and ability to influence business partners
- Recognized as ethical and independent, demonstrating high standards of professionalism and respect for confidentiality.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a detailed resume and cover letter noting posting #18-24FTR to:
The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
222 St. Patrick Street
Toronto, ON, M5T 1V4
For further information on The Michener Institute, please visit our website at www.michener.ca.
The Michener Institute is publicly funded by the Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care and is an equal opportunity employer. We offer accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process.
While we thank all applicants only those selected for an interview will be contacted.