AI for Clinician Champions Certificate Program
AI for Clinician Champions Certificate Program:
at a glance
Credential(s) Earned: Certificate
Program Length: 6 weeks
Start Date: November 4, 2021
Tuition: Sponsored by the Future Skills Centre during the granting period (March 2023)
Application Deadline: October 7, 2021
Program Code: AICC110
As part of the Accelerating the Adoption of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare project, the AI for Clinician Champions Certificate Program aims to support practicing clinicians in Canada as they prepare for implementation of AI into their practices. The program will provide clinicians with an overview of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in healthcare environments, data and risk management considerations, communicating AI opportunities, and change management strategies. Content will be provided online through pre-readings and pre-work, virtual class sessions, and post-work. The program wraps up with a personalized capstone project that will resonate with the clinician’s work environment.
Have a question?
AI for Clinician Champions Certificate Program – AICC110
There is a growing need for a fundamental understanding of how AI can and should be used in different healthcare fields. In response to this need, The Michener Institute and Vector Institute have partnered on a project funded by the Government of Canada’s Future Skills Centre to help accelerate the adoption of AI in healthcare.
This certificate program is part of the initiatives to transform the mindset, skillset, and toolset of the healthcare community through research projects, symposia, roundtables, certificate programs, and a Healthcare AI Incubator.
Visit the Accelerating the Adoption of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare webpage and join our mailing list for more information about this project and the different initiatives.
Accelerating the Adoption of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare is funded by the Government of Canada’s Future Skills Centre. Le projet est financé par le Centre des Compétences futures du gouvernement du Canada.
This program is intended for practicing clinicians in Canada, including all disciplines and work contexts.
The AI for Clinician Champions Certificate Program is delivered in English and is designed to provide a working knowledge of AI and foundational skills in practicing with AI to help practicing clinicians in Canada be actively involved in conversations about AI and implementation projects. No previous knowledge of AI is required.
Through this certificate program, you will:
- Discover how AI has evolved, the different types of AI, and use cases for clinical and business contexts
- Learn about best practices, permissions, and ethical considerations of data sources for different AI use cases
- Discuss the ethical implications of trade-off decisions and how to manage risks associated with them
- Apply best practices in assessing the accuracy of AI outputs to make clinical decisions and to communicate with patients
- Practice creating problem definition statements, mapping AI to clinical processes, and outlining data and decision considerations
- Explore change management strategies and the organizational processes you can use to facilitate change
- Create a report for an AI opportunity in your workplace to share with relevant stakeholders
This program is one (1) course that is made up of six (6) weeks:
- Week 1: Orientation & Introduction to AI
- Week 2: Translating Clinical Judgement Processes into AI Opportunities
- Week 3: Managing Risks of AI
- Week 4: Translating AI Outputs
- Week 5: Planning for AI Implementation & Interprofessional Collaboration
- Week 6: Program Summary & Introduction of Capstone Project
Each week contains learning objectives, course reading materials, pre-work and post-work, and a virtual class session. You are encouraged to identify your own learning needs and go beyond the material provided each week through additional resources.
The program concludes with a capstone project based on an AI opportunity within your team or organization. This project will be due the second (2nd) Sunday following the Week 6 virtual class session.
Course Dates: November 4 – December 9, 2021
Course Delivery: Online – Facilitated
Virtual Session Time: Thursdays from 4:00 to 6:00 pm EST
- You must be a practicing clinician in Canada
- Computer literacy
- Students must have access to a computer that meets the minimum system requirements, access to the Internet, and an e-mail account
- Access to and basic proficiency with a PDF reader, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint are also required as they are used to access course material and submit evaluation items
Note: This program is delivered in English
To apply for this program, complete the application form below. You will need to provide the following:
- Contact information
- Confirmation that you meet the admission requirements
- Information about yourself including,
- A statement of your motivation and goals (few sentences)
- A description of how you typically use data in your practice
After you apply, you will receive a decision email within two weeks.
Have a question? Email: email@example.com.
Application Deadline: 7 October 2021
Registration Deadline: 21 October 2021
Program Start Date: 4 November 2021
Is there a difference between the application deadline and registration deadline?
Yes. The application deadline is the date and time by which applications for admission to the AI for Clinician Champions Certificate Program must be received by Michener’s Registrar’s Office.
The registration deadline is the date and time by which successful applicants must officially enroll in the program and pay the relevant course fees. You will be advised of the registration deadline in your offer of admission.
When will I gain access to the program?
Log in information for Blackboard will be emailed within three (3) business days of registration.
Additional Accelerating AI in Healthcare Project Programs
- AI for Healthcare Leaders Certificate Program
Through this three (3)-week program, healthcare leaders in Canada will learn about the strategic implications surrounding planning for and implementing Artificial Intelligence as well as, how to determine organizational readiness.
- Healthcare AI Incubator
Through this six (6)-month program, healthcare teams in Canada will gain assistance with their AI projects through mentoring time from relevant experts and free access to select educational resources.
These programs are sponsored by the Future Skills Centre during the granting period (March 2023).
Other Michener Programs
- Special Topics in the Digital Revolution: The Road to Artificial Intelligence in Health Care 101
Through this six (6)-week access course, anyone who is interested will learn about artificial intelligence in the Canada context, its effects on privacy and ethics in professional practices, and its impacts on educational and workplace environments.
- Artificial Intelligence Fundamentals Course
This 12-week online course provides an introduction to the discipline of artificial intelligence and will lay the groundwork for understanding AI. Starting with a brief history, it then discusses concepts and models required for learning how to apply AI with specific references to the healthcare environment.
- Artificial Intelligence in Health Care Certificate Program
Through this 15-month program, certified/regulated health care providers, IT professionals, and health care informatics professionals will acquire data science and analytic skills, learn how to implement AI solutions, and participate in creating an AI solution.
- Digital Health and Data Analytics Advanced Diploma
Through this two (2)-year program with practicums, professionals with a bachelor’s degree will develop a deep understanding of the key concepts, issues and challenges in digital health and data analytics, along with the ever-changing capabilities of AI and machine learning and the role they play in patient-driven healthcare and personalized medicine.
Master’s Programs Supported by Vector
- AI Master’s: Building Ontario’s Ecosystem
The Vector Institute maintains a list of master’s programs that meet its industry-focused requirements for AI skills and competencies. Vector also provides a scholarship and career support for students enrolled in those programs.
- Artificial Intelligence in Health Profession Education Journal Club, TIER, UHN
- Digital and AI Mental Health Certificate, camh
- CrashCourse: Artificial Intelligence
- CrashCourse: Statistics (the last quarter of videos focus on AI and machine learning)
- CrashCourse: Computer Science
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Effective September 7th all learners, faculty and staff must provide proof of at least one-dose of approved COVID-19 vaccine to participate in any in-person learning or on-site activities. Proof of full vaccination will be required as of October 8th, 2021.