Basic Principles of Intraoperative Neurophysiological Monitoring
ONLINE – login information will be emailed the week before the course start date
$1500 domestic / $2250 international
Francois D. Roy, PhD CNIM
By the end of this course learners should be able to:
- Discuss the origins of IONM as a profession in North America and how it has evolved over time.
- Describe the major function(s) of IONM and how it fits into the larger healthcare picture as an integral member of the surgical team.
- Explain the basic principles of how bioelectric (neural) signals are generated and recorded from the human body.
- Describe electrode features and the principles of proper placement.
- Describe the basic components of a neuromonitoring device including amplifiers and filters.
- Describe how current flows in a simple electronic circuit.
- Discuss basic characteristics of neural signals and how they are processed for display on neuromonitoring device computer screens.
- Understand basic intraoperative troubleshooting techniques to minimize electrical noise and optimize neural signal acquisition and display.
This course is designed to provide a broad overview of IONM as a profession and then delve into the electrophysiological principles that form its foundation.
In this course, students will learn about:
- stimulation and recording from the nervous system and how to use technology to capture and analyze the responses
- basic electronic circuitry and how bioelectric (neural) signals are detected, amplified, filtered and displayed onscreen
- how to troubleshoot technical problems when encountering them in the operating room
The course is divided into 12 learning modules (sections) some of which are further subdivided into learning units. Each unit of instruction will be presented with learning objectives as guidance and to emphasize key concepts.
Online quiz after each module, final multiple choice online exam
Health professionals who are or will be working in an intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring role.
Only full CANM members are permitted to register for this course without first applying for the Certificate Program.
- IONM 110
- Enrolled in the IONM Certificate Program and/or Full CANM membership – please submit your CANM membership number when registering for the course.
- Overview of IONM: history and evolution
- Role of IONM in the health care system
- Stimulation of the nervous system
- Recording from the nervous system
- Electrodes – Basic concepts
- Electrodes – Placement
- Basic electronics for electrophysiology
- Instrumentation – Basic concepts
- Instrumentation – Amplifiers and filters
- Instrumentation – Signal characteristics
- Instrumentation – Data processing, display
- Instrumentations – Troubleshooting, artifacts
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Proof of full vaccination will be required.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.