Cannabis Educator Certificate Program
Cannabis Educator Certificate Program:
at a glance
Credential(s) Earned: Certificate
Program Length: 12 weeks
Start Date: September 19, 2022
Tuition: Domestic $999 | International $1498.50
Application Deadline: July 29, 2022
Program Code: CANN400
The Cannabis Educator Certificate Program will increase your confidence when communicating with patients about cannabis. In this 12 week online certificate program, learners will gain valuable theory and practical experience in creating education plans for patients. Explore a complete overview of the history and science of medical cannabis while understanding the factors that affect the selection of delivery method. Take your learning and put it to the test with a case study, developing an education plan for your simulated patient and practice your new skills in week 12 at an online workshop.
We look forward to seeing you in our certificate program!
Cannabis Educator Certificate Program – CANN400
Upon successful completion of the program, learners will be able to:
- Provide a thorough overview of the history of medical cannabis including medical use and prohibition
- Describe the current industry landscape in Canada and globally as it relates to current and future trends shaping the industry
- Describe the science of the cannabis plant, cannabinoids, terpenes, and the endocannabinoid system
- Describe legalities impacting the workplace, driving, use of cannabis in public and private settings (e.g. rental units, hotels, designated smoking areas etc.)
- Provide an overview of the research literature and evidence for medical cannabis
- Provide an overview of the adverse effects, contraindications, drug interactions, and precautions
- Explain the factors that affect the selection of the most appropriate delivery method based on client characteristics and medical condition
- Recognize the ethical principles that underpin the patient education approach
- Identify communication strategies to provide effective patient education
The program is 12 weeks long and includes 10 modules. It is delivered entirely online. Course work is mostly self-directed and asynchronous. A webinar is held on a weekday evening once every two weeks but these are recorded for those who cannot attend.
- Discussion Board Participation (Weekly)
- Module Quizzes Week 4, 7 and 10
- Educational Plan Assignment
- Workshop Participation
- Final Exam
|Week #||Learning Topic|
|1||The History of Cannabis and Current Landscape|
|2||The Science of Cannabis|
|3||Medical Cannabis Education I|
|4||Medical Cannabis Education II|
|5||Cannabis for Medical Purposes Part I|
|6||Cannabis for Medical Purposes Part II|
|7||Dosing, Micro-dosing, and Methods of Consumption|
|8||Drug-Drug Interactions, Contraindications and Side Effects|
|9||The legalities of Cannabis Part I|
|10||The legalities of Cannabis Part II|
|11||Prep for Workshop & Final Exam|
|12||Workshop & Final Exam|
We estimate that you will need to dedicate 3-4 hours a week to course work.
This certificate program is intended for all health professionals looking to gain a further understanding of medical cannabis.
- Nurse Practitioner/RN/RPN
- Respiratory therapists
- Physiotherapists/Kinesiologists/Occupational Therapists
- End of Life Care Hospice, Rehabilitation
- Naturopathic Doctors
- Industry, Associations (CMA, CPHA, CAN)
- Health Organizations e.g. Cancer Society, Multiple Sclerosis Society, Epilepsy Foundation
- Bachelor of Science in a health sciences field
- Registration in one of the regulated health professions in Canada
- Current employment in an environment that provides healthcare to cannabis patients
- Computer literacy
- Students must have access to a computer that meets the minimum system requirements, access to the Internet, and an e-mail account
- Access to and basic proficiency with a PDF reader, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint are also required as they are used to access course material and submit evaluation items
Please Note: Applicants who do not meet the above requirements but who have current, relevant work experience in an appropriate healthcare environment will be assessed on an individual basis. Submission of two letters of support will be required; one from a direct supervisor and one from your human resources department. A current, detailed resume describing your background and experience will also be required.
To apply for the program please submit all of the following documents to The Michener Institute:
- A completed Michener Application Form
- The $35.00 non-refundable application fee
- A copy of your current professional college registration (if applicable)
- A current, detailed resume
You are welcome to include relevant additional information or documentation if you feel it will benefit your application.
Your application should be sent to:
Office of the Registrar – The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
222 St. Patrick Street
M5T 1V4 Canada
Fax: (416) 596-3122
Application Deadline: 29 July 2022
Registration Deadline: 9 September 2022
Course Start Date: 19 September 2022
Please note these dates are subject to change
Domestic $999 | International $1498.50
Tuition is paid when registering for the program.
Please note: tuition fees are subject to change.
Join us to learn more about the Cannabis Educator Program offered by the School of Continuing Studies at Michener / UHN. Our information session will discuss an overview of the program, admission criteria, application process and review some important dates.
Event Date: TBD
"I really enjoyed this course. I felt challenged but in a reasonable way. I looked forward to each module and found myself going back through modules after the live sessions. The live sessions were very valuable, it was really great to have the opportunity to ask questions."
"This was such a fabulous learning experience! Facilitators were knowledgeable, kind and professional."
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Effective September 7th all learners, faculty and staff must provide proof of at least one-dose of approved COVID-19 vaccine to participate in any in-person learning or on-site activities. Proof of full vaccination will be required as of October 8th, 2021.