Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) for Healthcare Support Workers
Online – login information will be emailed within 3 business days of registration.
Continuous enrolment max one year
Andrea White-Markham RRT, CRE, CTE.
This course is intended to provide basic information about COPD and how it affects day to day life. The course will also provide direction to support workers so they can identify worsening symptoms of COPD and determine when to get medical help.
- Describe the effect of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on the individual
- Describe the causes of COPD
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of worsening COPD
- Recognize ways to help manage the symptoms of COPD
- Reinforce breathing techniques
- Take action when flare up occurs
- Demonstrate effective communication using SBAR
- Recognize nicotine withdrawal symptoms
- Explain the need for oxygen therapy
- Describe safe oxygen use
- Recognize the autonomy of clients at all stages of life
- Report the presence of pain or breathlessness related to end of life.
Module quizzes, case studies and final test
This course was developed specifically for Personal Support Workers and other healthcare support workers in continuing and long-term care environments
This course is also available by contract for on-site delivery. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Ask about our special rate for Ontario Personal Support Workers Association (OPSWA) members!
|Code||Course Title||Format||Tuition||Date(s)||Register By||Availability|
|COPD801-YE1||Online||$298.50||Sep-18-2019 to Sep-18-2020||Aug-31-2020||Open|