at a glance
Certificate of Completion
September 5th 2019
Early Bird $1999 (until May 31st) | Regular Price $2100
August 2, 2019
Are you an internationally educated healthcare professional seeking alternative employment in the Canadian healthcare market? If so, our new Healthcare Essentials: A Bridging Program for Internationally Educated Health Professionals (IEHPs) is designed for you!
Increasingly, employers in healthcare emphasize essential workplace skills such as communication, leadership, project management and emotional intelligence. This program aims to develop those critical skills for success, build on previous experiences, and facilitate your successful integration. Drawing upon the healthcare education expertise of the Michener Institute of Education at UHN as well as clinical expertise of University Health Network (UHN), the Healthcare Essentials program provides a hybrid of online and in-person learning, giving students the opportunity to gain valuable learning and build a network with leaders in healthcare and healthcare education.
- Internationally Educated Healthcare Professionals (IEHP)
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a Healthcare Profession (supporting documentation is required)
- Proof of English Language Proficiency
- If post-secondary education was not in English
- If student is not from an English dominant country
- TOFL/IELTS scores must be valid within 2 years
- If TOFL/IELTS scores are not available, Michener English Language Assessment (MELA) exam is required.
- Letter of Intent
- Complete Michener Application Form
Students must have access to a computer that meets the minimum system requirements, and access to the Internet. Students must meet Michener’s English language proficiency policy. Please view the English Language Requirements for further information. If you require an English language assessment, please review our English Language Assessment page for specific requirements.
Please submit the following by email to: email@example.com
- Completed Michener Application Form
- Proof of Credentials (diploma, degree, certificate or other proof of credential)
- Proof of minimum 2 years of experience in a Healthcare Profession
- Detailed resume
- Letter of intent
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must provide proof of an English language assessment (valid within 2 years)
Fall 2019 Intake
Application Deadline: Friday, August 2nd 2019
Course Start Date: Thursday, September 5th 2019
1. Understanding Cultural Humility as Teachers, Learners & Health Care Providers – In-Person
Designed by the UHN International Centre for Education™ (UHN ICE), this workshop will build on our understanding of culture and its influence on our interactions with colleagues and learners who bring different lived experiences to the work environment. The workshop will provide tips on successful communication, breaking down barriers and building respect. Participants will also explore the importance of Cultural Humility and how it is foundational to best practice as teachers, learners and health care professionals.
Course Date: Thursday, September 5th 2019
Time: TBD (approx. 2 hours)
2. Managing Quality and Patient Safety in Healthcare – Online Course
Managing Quality and Patient Safety in Healthcare is part of the Clinical Management Certificate Program at The Michener Institute of Education at UHN and enables New Clinical Managers to understand quality control and patient safety in a healthcare setting. This course highlights on the following topics:
- To understand the role of quality in management
- To be able to develop program / department measurement and tracking
- To use information to support effective decision making
- To integrate quality into operational improvement
- To integrate quality into and support a culture of patient safety
Course Start Date: Monday, September 9th 2019
Course End Date: Friday, November 29th 2019
3. Full Day Workshop – In-Person
Active Listening Workshop (Morning Session)
Are you a good listener? How do you know? Listening is essential to good communication skills and to building positive workplace, patient and customer relationships. After self-assessing your listening habits, this workshop will provide you with practical skills to improve your active listening skills so your colleagues, clients, patients, customers feel “heard” and respected. In addition to improving your communication skills, this workshop can enhance your leadership skills by building trust, understanding and community through the practice of actively listening.
Networking 101 Workshop (Afternoon Session)
“Networking” is often a misunderstood and “scary” concept. But in reality, it is something that we do every day: connecting with others with whom we share common interests. By practicing your professional introductions, starting and ending conversations, and asking good questions you will be more confident in making the important professional connections you need. This is a fun and interactive workshop that will help you be more confident to connect with others in a professional context.
Workshop Date: Saturday, November 2nd 2019
4. Fundamentals of Leadership Effectiveness – Online Course
This course has been designed by The Michener Institute and is suitable for those looking to establish a strong fundamental skill required for effective leadership in healthcare. The course highlights on the following topics:
- The difference between the management role and the leader role in a team
- The question of whether leadership can be learned
- Leadership communication styles that are best practices in a variety of contexts
- The ability to resolve conflict situations
- Change management
- Theoretical approaches to leading change
- Project management concepts and thinking
- Showing leadership behaviours as you work in groups
Course Start Date: January 2020 (Day TBD)
Recommended Program: (Optional )
Personalized Learning Program at the University Health Network (UHN)
The Personalized Learning Program™ (PLP™) at the University Health Network (UHN) is a fully customizable, observership-based program designed to meet learners’ specific goals and objectives. No two PLPs are exactly the same! With the PLP, we are able to leverage various resources and expertise throughout the UHN campuses, if applicable. PLPs can be organized in any program or specialty available at UHN and The Michener Institute of Education at UHN. A PLP Education Plan is developed for every learner with activities built to meet learning objectives. Learners receive a UHN PLP Certificate of Completion at the end of the PLP program.
Visit UHN International Centre for Education for more information on PLPs at UHN. See below for special offer.
Graduates of the Healthcare Essentials; a Bridging Program for Internationally Educated Health Professionals, will be provided a 10% discount to the Personalized Learning Program™ at the University Health Network within one year of completion.