Mental Health Nursing Certificate Program
Online modules and virtual weekly discussions.
Aideen Carroll, RN, BScN, BSc, MA, CPMHN (C)
Upon successful completion of the course, the Learner will be able to:
- Demonstrate therapeutic communication with patients.
- Complete a suicide risk assessment and a mental health status assessment for a patient.
- Explain the symptoms and treatment for patients at risk of suicide and/or with mental health conditions.
- Apply best practices in healthcare to nursing care plan for patients at risk of suicide and/or with mental health conditions.
- Recognize personal/societal biases and misconceptions about mental health conditions that affect patient well-being when they come up in patient-care conversations.
Midterm Case Study Assignment
- Students will receive a case study which involves a patient going through a mental health crisis. Learners will provide a video presentation or written response to the case study where they will need to determine the mental health issue they are experiencing, the suicide risk level, and determine a plan for patient care.
Midterm Written Assessment
The written assessment will be a multiple-choice test completed online through Blackboard. The questions on this test will come from past CNA mental health nursing exams or be similar to those questions. This assessment tests students’ preparedness for writing the CNA exam after this course.
Final Written Assessment
The written assessment will be a multiple-choice test completed online through Blackboard.
20% of learners’ grades will come from their participation in synchronous class activities. During each session we will have activities, case studies, and group discussions. Students are expected to be active participants in class discussion.
Intended for :
- Nurses intending to write the CNA exam for Mental Health Nursing
- Nurses who are looking to deepen their understanding of best practices providing mental health nursing care
This course is available for individual registration as well as hospital sponsorship
Inquiries please email: email@example.com
Valid Certificate of Competence to practice nursing
Legal ability to work in Canada
- Module 1- The Therapeutic Relationship
- Module 2- Suicide and Mental Health Assessment
- Module 3- Depression
- Module 4- Bipolar Disorder
- Module 5- Schizophrenia
- Module 6- Anxiety
- Module 7- Eating Disorders
- Module 8- Substance Abuse Disorders
- Module 9- Delirium and Dementia
- Module 10- Review
Mental Health Nursing Certificate Program MHNU100. New Winter 2023! Please check back for start dates and fee.
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Effective September 7th all learners, faculty and staff must provide proof of at least one-dose of approved COVID-19 vaccine to participate in any in-person learning or on-site activities. Proof of full vaccination will be required as of October 8th, 2021.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.