Michener English Language Assessment (MELA)- Online
Bruce Russell, B.A., B.Mus., CTESL, M.Ed. (OISE)
- Students applying for admission to the Michener Institute
- Health professionals fulfilling the language requirement for professional certification.
The Michener English Language Assessment (MELA) measures English language proficiency based on communication that is typical in health care education or practice settings. The test is referenced to the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB), a Canadian framework for English language proficiency. MELA scores are used by post-secondary institutions and regulatory bodies as approved and acceptable demonstration of communicative competence to study or practice.
Please note: A participant may only attempt the MELA test up to a maximum of 3 times.
For additional information and samples of the test visit MELA .
The MELA Online assessment takes approximately 4 hours and scores are reported in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. The assessment is divided into two parts:
- Online Written Test – 3 Hours (Reading, Writing and Listening)
- Virtual Speaking Test – ½ hour (conducted on Saturday or Sunday of the nearest weekend) via Zoom or GoToMeeting. Please note that Virtual Speaking Tests may not be scheduled on the same day as the other portions of the test.
System Requirements for the MELA Online Assessment
To participate in the MELA Online, participants must have access to:
- High speed internet
- Speakers with a microphone or a head set
- Webcam (You are not permitted to use the camera associated with your mobile phone. Laptop web cams are acceptable)
- Quiet room to complete the test
All MELA Online written tests are Proctored and students must show a Government issued ID to the proctor prior to starting the test.
Students will receive test details by email two days prior to writing the test.
Assessment Start Times
Please note your time zone before registering. Assessment start times cannot be changed to accommodate different time zones.
Saturday Dates – 9:00 a.m. (Toronto – Eastern Standard Time)
Wednesday Dates – 4:00 p.m. (Toronto – Eastern Standard Time)
Transfers, Withdrawals, Refunds, and Appeals
For information on transfers, withdrawals, refunds and appeals, please refer to our Continuing Education Policy