Michener English Language Assessment (MELA) – Online
Bruce Russell, B.A., B.Mus., CTESL, M.Ed. (OISE)
- Students applying for admission to the Michener Institute
- Health professionals fulfilling the language requirement for professional certification.
The Michener English Language Assessment (MELA – LANG101) measures English language proficiency based on communication that is typical in health care education or practice settings. The test is referenced to the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB), a Canadian framework for English language proficiency. MELA scores are used by post-secondary institutions and regulatory bodies as approved and acceptable demonstration of communicative competence to study or practice.
Please note: A participant may only attempt the MELA test up to a maximum of 3 times.
For additional information and samples of the test visit MELA .
The MELA Online assessment takes approximately 4 hours and scores are reported in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. The assessment is divided into two parts:
- Online Written Test – 3 Hours (Reading, Writing and Listening)
- Virtual Speaking Test – ½ hour (conducted on Saturday or Sunday of the nearest weekend) via Zoom. Please note that Virtual Speaking Tests may not be scheduled on the same day as the other portions of the test.
System Requirements for the MELA Online Assessment
To participate in the MELA Online, participants must have access to:
- High speed internet
- Speakers with a microphone or a head set
- Webcam (You are not permitted to use the camera associated with your mobile phone. Laptop web cams are acceptable)
- Quiet room to complete the test
All MELA Online written tests are Proctored and students must show a Government issued ID to the proctor prior to starting the test.
Students will receive test details by email two days prior to writing the test.
Assessment Start Times
Please note your time zone before registering. Assessment start times cannot be changed to accommodate different time zones.
Saturday Dates – 9:00 a.m. (Toronto – Eastern Standard Time)
Wednesday Dates – 5:30 p.m. (Toronto – Eastern Standard Time)
Transfers, Withdrawals, Refunds, and Appeals
For information on transfers, withdrawals, refunds and appeals, please refer to our Continuing Education Policy.
PLEASE READ: Communications Instructions
Due to the format of this fully-online MELA test, all communications will be sent to the participants via email only at the email address provided at the time of registration. Michener does not accept responsibility for missed communications. It is the responsibility of each participant to check ALL personal email folders (including Junk/Spam, promotions, social, etc.) to ensure they receive communications from Michener.
If you have signed up for a MELA test, you will hear from the MELA office approximately a week in advance of the test. If you cannot locate any communications from us at that time, it is recommended to reach out to our office at email@example.com at least three (3) days prior to the writing of your test.
Michener will not reschedule a test that participants fail to attend.
PLEASE READ: Technology Disclaimer
This test is an ONLINE English language assessment that is dependent on your personal technology meeting the minimum technology requirements. In the event of a technology failure during the test, please inform the Proctor immediately.
Michener will investigate all claims of technology failure. In the event that a technology failure is deemed to be the responsibility of the participant, Michener will not augment a MELA score or provide a refund; it is the participant’s responsibility to register for a new test.
It is hence mandatory that applicants applying to the ONLINE MELA perform all necessary technology checks provided with your instructions. In signing up for the online version of the MELA, you are agreeing to assume this risk.
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Proof of full vaccination will be required.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.