Michener English Language Assessment (MELA)- Online
Bruce Russell, B.A., B.Mus., CTESL, M.Ed. (OISE)
- Students applying for admission to the Michener Institute
- Health professionals fulfilling the language requirement for professional certification.
The Michener English Language Assessment (MELA) measures English language proficiency based on communication that is typical in health care education or practice settings. The test is referenced to the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB), a Canadian framework for English language proficiency. MELA scores are used by post-secondary institutions and regulatory bodies as approved and acceptable demonstration of communicative competence to study or practice. Please note: A participant may only attempt the MELA test up to a maximum of 3 times.
Please visit MELA for additional information and samples of the test.
The MELA Online assessment takes approximately 4 hours and scores are reported in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. The assessment is divided into two parts:
- Online Written Test – 3 Hours (Reading, Writing and Listening)
- Virtual Speaking Test – ½ Hour (conducted same day) via Zoom or GoTo Meeting. Invitations to the virtual speaking test will be sent to participants by e.mail by the MELA Office at least three days prior to the test.
System Requirements for the MELA Online Assessment
To participate in the MELA Online, participants must have access to:
- High speed internet
- Speakers with a microphone or a head set
- Web cam (You are not permitted to use the camera associated with your mobile phone)
- Quiet room to complete the test
All MELA Online written tests are Proctored and students must show a Government issued ID to the proctor prior to starting the test.
Students will receive test details by e.mail two days prior to writing the test.
Assessment Start Times
- Saturday Dates – 9:00 a.m..
- Wednesday Dates – 4:00 p.m.
Transfers, Withdrawals, Refunds, and Appeals
For information on transfers, withdrawals, refunds and appeals, please refer to our Continuing Education Policy
To register online, scroll to the bottom and click on the ‘Register’ tab.
|Code||Course Title||Format||Tuition||Date(s)||Register By||Availability|
|LANG101-W02||Michener English Language Assessment (MELA) Location - Online||Assessment||$300.00||Jan-20-2021 to Jan-20-2021||Open|
|LANG101-W03||Michener English Language Assessment (MELA) Location - Online||Assessment||$300.00||Feb-27-2021 to Feb-27-2021||Open|
|LANG101-W04||Michener English Language Assessment (MELA) Location - Online||Assessment||$300.00||Mar-27-2021 to Mar-27-2021||Open|