Professional Practice in the Medical Lab
This online course is offered to help Medical Laboratory Professionals build their knowledge of professional practice. A solid foundation of your professional role including expectations with respect to legislation, standards of practice, codes of ethics, consent, confidentiality/privacy etc. The course will introduce students to the concepts and support for interprofessional collaboration, reflective practice, teamwork and leadership, with relevancy to provincial and national competencies surrounding professional responsibilities.
By the end of this course students should be able to:
- Construct a plan for continuous professional development that includes the requirements for your profession
- Investigate professional legislation and standards governing your profession
- Explore the foundations of interprofessional education and collaboration
- Cultivate reflective practice skills for continuous professional development
- Demonstrate communication skills for interprofessional collaboration
Students will engage in weekly learning activities, participate in online discussions and enhance their professional portfolio. Participation in discussion groups is required as a component of the course work to allow for peer collaboration and discourse. The facilitator is present to support students throughout their learning in advisement, feedback and assessment capacities.
Medical laboratory technologists (MLTs) and medical laboratory assistants/technicians (MLA/Ts) with a foundational understanding of their profession and the workings of a medical laboratory are best suited to this course.
Professional Practice in the Medical Laboratory – PML110
COVID Vaccine Requirement:
Effective September 7th all learners, faculty and staff must provide proof of at least one-dose of approved COVID-19 vaccine to participate in any in-person learning or on-site activities. Proof of full vaccination will be required as of October 8th, 2021.
- Select button “View Available Sections and Registration”
- This page contains 3 boxes. Click on the “Sign In” box
- If you have a Self service account, sign in here. If you do not, then create an account.
- Select your course/section by clicking the “Add” button which will send the course to your cart.
- To move on to payment, click the blue “Register” button.
- Once payment has been processed, registration is complete.