Understanding Coronaviruses and Diagnostics: A Foundation for Clinical Laboratories
Online- log in information will be emailed within 3 business days of registration.
Self-directed learning with workshop option.
Workshop details below.
see below for details
Jean Paul Nadeau MSc, MLT
At the conclusion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Examine and distinguish clinical and research laboratory environments in Ontario.
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic molecular biology theory including virus biology, with a focus on coronaviruses.
- Summarize the steps in preparing a specimen for PCR and real-time PCR testing.
- Understand how to perform and troubleshoot nucleic acid extraction, PCR and real-time PCR results.
- Recognize and understand the importance of automation in clinical laboratories.
- Micropipette with accuracy and precision.
Complete the didactic component online at your own pace. Once you have finished the modules, if you would like to participate in the hands-on workshop please connect with your faculty for the details. Recognizing that on site workshop at Michener is not always possible, the didactic online course can be taken independently.
- Separate fee and registration for the workshop session will be made available in the Blackboard course.
- Limited space is available for workshops – students are added on a first come first served basis.
- Participants must wear closed toed shoes to attend the workshop.
- Please note that online assignments and exam must be successfully completed to be eligible for the workshop.
Upcoming Workshop Dates: (These dates are tentative)
- Saturday October 2021
- Saturday February 2022
- Saturday June 2022
Location: The Michener Institute, 222 St. Patrick Street, Toronto, Ontario
Time: 09:00am – 12:00pm
Please Note: Workshop dates and times are subject to change.
You will receive a certificate of completion when you are able to demonstrate the practical skills.
MLA’s, MLT’s, Science grads, researchers
This course will provide an introduction to clinical laboratories and clinical laboratory testing, with a focus on coronavirus diagnostic testing. Content includes basic molecular biology theory and techniques, with a focus on viral molecular biology and viral nucleic acid testing. Students will learn about clinical diagnostic testing of coronavirus samples from sample receipt through to quality control and troubleshooting of real-time PCR results. These include specimen preparation, nucleic acid extraction, and real-time PCR.
Understanding Coronaviruses and Diagnostics: A Foundation for Clinical Laboratories UCDF110
|Code||Course Title||Format||Tuition||Date(s)||Register By||Availability|
|UCDF110-YE1||Understanding Coronaviruses and Diagnostics: A Foundation for Clinical Laboratories||Online||$715.00||Jun-18-2021 to Jun-18-2022||Open|