Welcome to Convergence 2021!
The Michener Institute of Education at UHN’s 2nd Annual Education Conference
The convergence of care, research and education allows us to create new knowledge and skills that benefit our patients, families, clinicians, scholars and learners. This education conference will highlight the amazing work of our education portfolios across TeamUHN and our broader healthcare community through a dynamic and interactive collection of virtual events.
Our theme this year is The New Normal? Learning from Disruptions in Healthcare Education. This theme revolves around how our teaching and learning ecosystems have changed due to disruptions such as the COVID-19 pandemic, and social change events related to equity and inclusion. This theme will branch into several streams of exploration including:
Stream 1: Systems and Institutions
Stream 2: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility
Stream 3: Virtual Learning Environments
Through these streams, you should expect to:
- Understand how the healthcare education system has shifted due to disruptions, such as COVID-19
- Explore the ways in which disruptions in healthcare have driven new conversations on the principles and practice of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility (IDEA) in education
- Acquire practical skills to enhance teaching and learning excellence in clinical, academic, and simulation-based teaching in the new educational landscape
- Explore best practices, new principles, and new technologies in healthcare education
Our ability to pivot and lead during times of uncertainty is one of our greatest strengths. This year’s online conference will stretch us as 21st century learners and leaders as we adapt and thrive in what is becoming our “new normal”. We look forward to having you join us at Convergence2021!
Date: Tuesday Feb 9, 2021 (am sessions) and Wednesday Feb 10th, 2021 (pm sessions)
Convergence is an opportunity for our partners in health care to come together in a shared space to explore teaching and learning! This conference is intended for:
- Curriculum Specialists
- Health Care providers, researchers and administrators interested in, or leading, health professions education
Convergence2020 was The Michener Institute of Education at UHN’s Inaugural Education Conference. The convergence of care, research and education allows us to create new knowledge and skills that benefit our patients, families, clinicians and learners. On Wednesday, February 19, 2020 Convergence2020 highlighted the amazing work of our education portfolios across UHN through a dynamic and interactive collection of workshops, sessions, exhibition and debates.
The success of TeamUHN is due to the dedication of our staff, physicians, researchers, patients, educators, learners and volunteers. We work together to build connections between education and care across our many campuses and programs. As a global leader in health professions education, it is time to celebrate TeamUHN’s achievements in teaching and learning. The theme for this year was, therefore, Building Bridges: Teaching and Learning for a Healthier World.
Through this diverse range of experiences, participants:
- Gained a better understanding of education opportunities offered at UHN
- Explored best practices, new principles and new technology in healthcare education
- Acquired practical skills for enhancing teaching and learning excellence
- Articulated lifelong learning needs to meet demands of future health care systems
We hope Convergence2020 inspired you to continue your lifelong learning journey. We have identified streams of learning, around which our conference program has been built.
The theme of last year’s Education Conference was Building Bridges: Teaching and Learning for a Healthier World with sessions that focus on five streams:
1. Champion a Culture of Learning and Teaching
How are you using the latest in teaching and learning science to drive continual individual and interprofessional learning for compassionate care?
2. Drive the Convergence of Education, Care and Research
How are you connecting research, care and education to create innovative educational strategies for outstanding care?
3. Push the Boundaries of Healthcare Education
How are you using new technologies, digital learning environments and data science to inform teaching, learning and education research? What does a seamless digital learning environment look like to you?
4. Translate Emerging Technology into Innovative Teaching
How can you anticipate evolving health system needs to produce the healthcare providers of tomorrow? How can you re-imagine learning and education in a rapidly changing system?
5. Be a System Incubator and Solution Hub
How do you leverage our current strengths in education, research and compassionate care to develop solutions for system challenges? How can you design and deliver socially accountable education?
Jane Mattson, The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
Mohammad Salhia, The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
Tanya Veigas, The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
Nancy McNaughton, The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
Justyn Warner, The Michener Institute of Education at UHN
Jill Krupa, University Health Network
Samara Gravesande, University Health Network
Adam Pereira, University Health Network
Lisa McQueen, University Health Network