We can now confirm that the clinical placement pause has been extended to at least July 6, 2020. We recognize that this is difficult news and we remain committed to the priority of student safety and the safety of patients.
Your Clinical Liaison Officers have been connecting with your Clinical Coordinators to determine the level of attainment of your competencies for clinical students. Some of you may have already been in touch with your Clinical Coordinators and may have signed off competencies virtually.
We are working very hard to ensure that your completion of the program is not compromised.
This monumental event recognizes the academic excellence and achievement of our students. We recognize this is a time when families and significant others come together to celebrate the accomplishments of our loved ones and it is a time when faculty welcome graduates as their new colleagues. While we are reluctant to cancel the event, our priority is your safety. As we are unsure when limitations on social gatherings will be lifted, we are looking at various contingency plans including a deferral of the full convocation ceremony to the fall and will keep you apprised as we learn more.
Currently we are still planning for the Summer Semester to start on May 4, 2020 as originally scheduled, and will begin with virtual delivery of the Working With Seniors module in Week 1 and virtual delivery of the Institute of Health Improvement quality improvement modules in Week 2. Online learning specific to your program is tentatively scheduled for the week of May 19, 2020. Each program is assessing how academic excellence can be preserved in our current online environments.
These are very difficult and challenging times for everyone. For those of you having challenges with meeting 2020 Summer Tuition deadlines, we hope you find following adjustments to the fee schedule for the upcoming summer semester helpful:
- 2020 Summer Tuition Deadline – For students who have not yet paid their 2020 Summer tuition, the deadline for summer tuition payment has been extended to May 1, 2020.
- Summer Semester Payment Plan – Students have the option to pay their summer 2020 tuition balance in three equal installments; May 1, June 1 and July 2, 2020. Please contact the Registrar’s Office at email@example.com to request to be added to a 2020 Summer payment plan. The balance of your tuition will be split over the three dates and will be reflected on your Self-Service statement.
- General Bursary – The General Bursary deadline for Summer term has been moved up to May 4 for students in financial need.
We continue to recommend that students in financial need contact our partners at National Bank to discuss options like the Student Line of Credit.
- Graduates and Student Loans – Students completing their programs in 2020 who have student loans should note that the federal government has suspended payments and interest on the federal portion of their loan until September 30, 2020. Please refer to the National Student Loans [icon name=”external-link-alt”] Service Centre.
- Other Financial Supports for Students and their Families – The new Canada Emergency Response Benefit [icon name=”external-link-alt”] may be of use to students or their family members.
- Flexible Bill Payments – Many companies are supporting their customers by offering flexible bill payment arrangements. We strongly encourage you to contact companies you pay bills to (e.g. cell phone, internet, utilities) to discuss your options.
We continue to explore digital platforms and alternate options to deliver final exams and evaluations, so we wish you well in anticipation that your exams will proceed as scheduled.
Many of you generously volunteer your time during the MMI process each year, for which we are grateful. Given the physical proximity of the MMI process, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the MMIs this year.
There are many support resources available to help support you:
- Coaching and Counselling – by telephone or by video. Students can inquire about support by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Health Services – services continue to be available for students by contacting email@example.com.
- Peer Tutoring – To arrange for a tutor, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accommodation and Accessibility – Please continue to follow the steps outlined on Accommodation and Accessibility page.
- Microsoft Office downloads and instructions [icon name=”external-link-alt”]– free for students
- The LRC staff are available by email, and can help with the following resources:
Recognizing that this is a stressful time for all, please continue to care for yourselves and each other whilst maintaining appropriate social distancing and PPE. As a reminder, visit my.Michener.ca COVID-19 updates [icon name=”external-link-alt”] page for general information.