Anaesthesia Assistant – Senior Registered Respiratory Therapist
London Health Sciences Centre
The Senior Registered Respiratory Therapist (Anesthesia Assistant - AA) is a specialty certified RRT who will provide assistance to Anesthesiologists as part of the Anesthesia Care Team (ACT). The AA is responsible to assist the Anesthesiologist in all aspects of anesthesia care and under the direction and supervision of the Anesthesiologist and to monitor the stable sedated/anesthetized patient in place of the Anesthesiologist under the direction of and explicit orders from the attending Anesthesiologist.
Using medical directives, the AA will provide assistance to the Anesthesiologist for pre-operative patient assessment and anesthesia care planning, operative or procedural monitoring and documentation and postoperative care. The AA is trained and it is within scope to monitor the stable patient under procedural sedation, general anesthesia and regional anesthesia in the planned absence of the Anesthesiologist from the patient room under the direction of the Anesthesiologist and guided by approved medical directives. Primary accountability for the patient’s care remains that of the responsible Anesthesiologist. The AA can perform the induction and emergence of patients under the guidance of the attending Anesthesiologist. The AA will provide this assistance in a variety of locations throughout the health centre.
- Current certification as a Certified Clinical Anesthesia Assistant
- Current certification of registration with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario (CRTO)
- Current Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers BLS-HCP(C), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), and Pediatric - Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Minimum 2 years recent related experience in a critical care, emergency or operating room hospital environment
- Knowledge of current anesthesiology principles and practices, as well as agents, equipment, procedures, and techniques for the provision of anesthesia to patients
- Capable of making unanticipated changes to patient status/condition with or without the collaboration of an anesthesiologist and function with confidence in emergencies while following medical directives
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer programs (i.e. Outlook, PowerChart, Infomed) relevant to all pertinent documentation and workload data collection
- Demonstrated excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as an effective team member
- Ability to demonstrate a proven track record of taking the initiative and contributing to the department, the hospital and the practice is preferred
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving, decision-making and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to work through difficult situations and in a high stress, dynamic environment
- Effective conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education
- Demonstrated practice and commitment to the principles of patient and family centered care
- Demonstrated practice and commitment to patient and staff safety at LHSC
- Demonstrated practice and commitment to LHSC’s Mission, Vision and Values
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis
- Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox), Hepatitis B, Tetanus/ Diphtheria/Polio; Meningitis.
- Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing (two step)
We are committed to providing a safe, healthy and inclusive work environment that inspires respect. LHSC is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2+ persons. We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities and standards of goods and services, and are also fully compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), as applicable.
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidates, as a condition of job offer, would be required to provide a satisfactory Police Information Check (original document) completed in the last 3 months.
RPT / RFT
$37.18 per hour - $46.08 per hour
To apply please visit http://www.lhsc.on.ca/careers
800 Commissioners Road E
Job Posting Link