Technician (Level I)
Research Centre for Women’s and Infants’ Health BioBank Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute Mount Sinai Hospital
The Research Centre for Women’s and Infants’ Health (RCWIH) at the Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute (http://biobank.lunenfeld.ca) is an internationally recognized research centre pursuing innovative research in reproductive biology, pregnancy, birth and umbilical cord stem cells. It is closely integrated with the cutting-edge clinical programs at Mount Sinai Hospital, a regional centre and world leader specializing in the care of high-risk pregnancies.
Mount Sinai Hospital Toronto, ON M5T 3L9
The RCWIH BioBank is seeking a highly motivated, organized and detail-oriented individual with excellent communication skills and ability to work independently, as well as in a team, to work in Mount Sinai Hospital’s Labour and Delivery ward, working with clinical staff to coordinate the timely collection of high quality research specimens.
As a Clinical Research Assistant with the RCWIH BioBank Program, the successful applicant will be a detail oriented individual who will be responsible for prospective participant screening and recruitment,assisting in ethically-appropriate collection, processing, storage, tracking and distribution of biospecimens collected from high-risk and normal pregnancies, as well as entering relevant clinical information into the BioBank’s database. Specimens will be used to support multiple research programs at the RCWIH and surrounding research community. As a Clinical Research Assistant, you will be directed by, and report to, the BioBank Director, and the BioBank Manager/Research Coordinator.
• Study participant recruitment involving screening of prospective participant charts and electronic medical records, provision of written informed consent, and participant monitoring and tracking from consent to delivery
• Collect and process (i.e. PFA-fix, snap freeze) placentas and/or other tissue or blood samples in accordance with the RCWIH BioBank Standard Operating Procedures
• Participate in on-call rotations for night and weekend coverage to ensure collection of high priority samples in consultation with the Manager/Research Coordinator
• Record relevant study participant information and clinical data accurately and promptly into the computer database and/or on paper forms as required
• Consult and inform clinical care staff of anticipated sample collections and ensure collegial interactions
• Ensure consent forms are properly completed and securely stored in files and electronically in a secure database
• Monitor and maintain BioBank equipment and materials used for sample processing and storage (including liquid nitrogen and dry ice)
• Archive fixed and frozen specimens according to the RCWIH BioBank Standard Operating Procedures
• Make tissue block slides and crush snap frozen tissue
• Miscellaneous tasks related to sample collection, processing, and archiving, as required and outlined by the BioBank Manager/Research Coordinator
• Follow Standard Operating Procedures as written as a day-to-day responsibility
- Communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong organizational skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently to complete the collective goals of the team
- Good judgment and decision making
- Basic computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel and Access (data collection and entry)
- Comfortable working with human tissues and basic surgical instruments
- Flexibility in shifts worked (position includes sharing on-call responsibilities for high-priority collections)
-Research/laboratory experience and technical laboratory skills
-Familiarity with and/or interest in obstetrics (preferred)
-Previous work experience in a healthcare setting
-Previous experience interacting with study participants/patients
-Ability to do call-in coverage at Mount Sinai Hospital on short notice
1 daytime shift (7.5 hours) plus on-call coverage (7.5-22.5h/week)
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please send cover letter and resume in a single PDF file by email to email@example.com to Ms. Pilar Zanoni, Manager and Research Coordinator of the RCWIH BioBank Program.
If you are selected for an interview you will be contacted directly by the Hiring Manager.
Ms. Pilar Zanoni
Manager and Research Coordinator