Anesthesia Assistant – Humber River Hospital
Humber River Hospital
Build your career – at the hospital that’s built for the future Humber River Hospital is committed to revolutionizing patient care for our diverse community. With the opening of our new facility, North America’s first fully digital hospital, on October 18, 2015, the future is very exciting for our people and programs. And we’re looking for exceptional individuals to join our great team: people who share our passion to deliver compassionate, professional, respectful care. The Hospital is formally affiliated with both the University of Toronto and Queen’s University.We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Full time Anesthesia Assistant to join our Operating Room, Surgical Program team.Responsible to the Manager, Operating Room, the Anesthesia Assistant (AA), is a registered member in good standing of the College of Respiratory Therapists or the College of Nurses of Ontario who practices in accordance with the standards of practice and guidelines as outlined by the Canadian Anaesthesiologists Society of Canada (CAS). As well, the AA works within a client and family centered care model and the vision and values of Humber River Hospital. As an advanced practitioner the AA provides technical support and clinical assistance with induction, maintenance and recovery phases of anesthesia by working both under the direct clinical supervision of the Anesthesiologist and as a member of an integrated surgical team. The AA also assists the Anaesthesiologist in developing and implementing the anesthesia care plan and monitors physiological responses of patients to the induction of anesthesia during surgery of anesthetic peripheral and neuraxial blocks before surgery.It is mandatory for the AA to ensure effective and safe patient care by demonstrating continuous improvement, education and best practices.
• Ability to demonstrate safe and appropriate pre- anesthetic preparation, induction, maintenance, and alteration of anesthesia, administration of adjunctive treatment, emergence and continuity of care into and during the postoperative period (PACU).
• Demonstrated ability to provide block area assistance, monitoring and initiate appropriate intervention if complications arise
• Ability to understand, test, calibrate and operate anesthesia equipment, including gas machines, endoscopes, Hemocue ,rapid infuser, pain pumps and other according to patient need.
• Ability to manage the anesthesia environment before a patient enters the room including checking and ensuring all needed equipment is present and working
• Required to work all shifts
• Graduate in good standing from a recognized Anesthesia Assistant Program
• Current certification in BCLS and ACLS
• Comprehensive knowledge of current anesthesia assistant practice
• Ability to work within a patient/family-centered model of care
• Ability to plan and implement plans of care in partnership with the patients, families and supervising Anaesthesiologist
• Excellent knowledge and demonstrated advanced ability to assess patient responses to care during anesthesia
• Demonstrated ability to respond appropriately to expected , urgent and emergent events
• Demonstrated excellent and effective communication skills using all modalities. Able to speak effectively with patients, families, colleagues, physicians, other allied staff.
• Demonstrated excellent team membership. Participates in and leads education sessions for staff, colleagues and other allied health workers.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and in collaboration with the entire Perioperative Team
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize workload and all aspects of patient care
• Demonstrated ability to work with and manage all equipment and supplies related to anesthesia and the adjunct care.
Required Education and Knowledge
• 2-3 years current Canadian Operating Room experience as an AA
• Undergraduate degree preferred.
• Current certification for RRT in Anesthesia Assistant Advanced Program
Ability to demonstrate the following skills:
• Peripheral Intravenous Line insertion
• Arterial Line insertion
• Intubation and Laryngeal Mask Insertion
• Point of care testing
Interested applicants are required to apply online at www.hrh.ca/careers. We thank all candidates that apply but only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Humber River Hospital is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate your needs under the Ontario Human Rights Code. Upon individual request, hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application, interview or selection processes, please contact the Human Resources Department for assistance.