Anesthesia Assistant / Respiratory Therapist
Interior Health Authority
Interior Health is one of six publicly funded health authorities in British Columbia. With more than 19,000 employees and nearly 1,600 physicians on our team, we are developing the future of health care through innovation and professional development. Located in the Southern Interior of British Columbia, our beautiful region includes larger cities such as Kelowna, Kamloops, Penticton, and Vernon along with a multitude of rural communities such as Cranbrook, Golden, Ashcroft, and 100 Mile House. Interior Health is dedicated to providing the best possible service to our citizens with staff and physicians who are committed to teamwork and high quality patient care – all playing an important part in our vision to set new standards of excellence in the delivery of health services in the Province of British Columbia.
Vernon Jubilee Hospital has a unique, full time opportunity for an applicant qualified as both Anesthesia Assistant (AA) and a Respiratory Therapist (RT).
In this position, 50 percent of time is spent in the Anesthesia Assistant role and the other 50 percent in the Respiratory Therapist role. Wages are AA wages when doing AA shifts and RT wages when doing RT shifts.
The Anesthesia Assistant performs technical duties related to anesthesia such as testing, preparing and maintaining anesthesia equipment and supplies. Performs clinical duties related to assisting Anesthesiologists with the induction, maintenance and recovery phases of anesthesia.
The Respiratory Therapist practices in accordance with the standards of professional practice as outlined by the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT) as well as within a client and family centered care model.
• Performs ongoing respiratory care in a multi-disciplinary setting to clients with a variety of illnesses/diseases including, but not limited to acute and/or chronic cardio-respiratory illnesses or pathologies by working independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
• Enhances quality of life from the perspective of the client/family. Consults, confers and collaborates with other health care professionals.
• Demonstrates continuous improvement and best practice approach in respiratory practice. Maintains and advances own clinical competence.
• Participates on committees/teams and approved research projects as assigned.
This Respiratory Therapy shift rotation includes Days/Nights including weekends in the following areas: Pulmonary Function Lab, ICU, Wards, and Emergency Department.
Vernon Jubilee Hospital’s Respiratory Therapy Department is a diverse team of knowledgeable therapists supportive of each other. This position is eligible for our comprehensive benefits plan that includes coverage for basic Medical Services, Dental Services, and Extended Health. We invite you to discover the rewards and career satisfaction that our growing organization has to offer you.
• Graduation from a recognized school of Respiratory Therapy, plus three years’ recent related experience.
• Completion of an accredited post-graduate Anesthesia Assistant diploma program.
• Current certification with the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT) and eligible for registration with the British Columbia Society of Respiratory Therapists (BCSRT) and CSRT.
• Current certificates in CPR, Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), and Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP).
$33.01 to $41.16/hour