Blood Draw Technician
The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids)
CALIPER Phlebotomist Job Description
Job Title: CALIPER Casual Phlebotomist
Location: The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids)
Department Name: DPLM (Department of Paediatric Laboratory Medicine)
Phlebotomists are needed on a casual basis for the CALIPER program in the Greater Toronto Area and surrounding regions. As a phlebotomist, you will be available to participate in CALIPER clinics a few days per month and will perform and be responsible for a variety of duties, both non-technical and semi-technical, relating to and including the procurement of in-patient and out-patient laboratory specimens from neonates, children, and adults in a family-centered care environment. You will also be responsible for acting in accordance with the mission, vision, values, and goals of the department and the Hospital for Sick Children. For more information on the CALIPER program, please visit: www.CALIPERproject.ca.
Here’s What You’ll Get to Do:
- Work with children and families to obtain blood samples for the purpose of clinical research.
- Work with children and families to obtain nasopharyngeal swabs for the purpose of clinical research.
- Collect, prepare, and label specimens.
- Participate in Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement activities and comply with departmental procedures.
- Ensure and follow health and safety procedures as per the Hospital guidelines and legal requirements.
- Conduct orientation and training of other phlebotomy staff, as required.
- Report to supervising coordinator on duty.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- MLA/T certification from the Ontario Society of Medical Technologists (OSMT) or equivalent.
- At least 2 years’ experience in venipuncture and capillary blood work.
- Experience in nasopharyngeal swab.
-Experience working in a pediatric setting.
- Knowledge of safe work practices and of the quality systems, Ontario Laboratory Accreditation (OLA), and other relevant regulatory requirements.
- Team player attitude with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities.
- Excellent customer service, initiative, self-direction, organization, and flexibility.
Employment Type: Casual
* This will be a casual position on an as-needed basis. Personal transportation is required.
555 University Avenue
Job Posting Link