Camps Inclusion Support Worker
The Town Of Oakville
Part-Time (Non-Union T)
Open to all current Town of Oakville employees and external applicants
Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca by 11:59 pm on March 26, 2023.
Reporting to the a Summer Inclusion Coordinator and/or the Teen Adventure Program Coordinator, the Inclusion Support Worker will assist with the inclusion and supervision of campers with disabilities in a wide variety of camp programs, including programs for teenagers with disabilities.
• Provide inclusion support to participants with disabilities, ensuring that activities are safe, fun, inclusive and appropriate
• Assist in preparing and leading an inclusive program to meet the needs of all participants registered in the program
• Work with parents/guardians and other camp staff to develop appropriate behaviour modification plans as required
• Support the objectives and philosophies of the summer program as established by the Recreation and Culture department
• Adhere to department prescribed policies and procedures
• Support and promote the HIGH FIVE "Principles of Healthy Child Development" (PHCD)
• Follow and implement all Health and Safety and COVID-19 Protocols and Public Health Guidelines
• Attend all mandatory staff functions from June-September 2023 including but not limited to; training, scheduled shifts, staff meetings and site clean-ups and all allocated program times.
• Arrive at the program site in time to properly prepare for the day's program and start the program according to schedule
• Ensure the continuing safety of the participant while at the program. With the assistance of the on-site Senior Leader and Program Coordinator, advise and document all accidents/incidents immediately. All reports must be received by the department within 24 hours
• Ensure the daily activities are safe, inclusive, creative, age-appropriate and enjoyable for the program participant, while ensuring an integrated setting
• Provide attentive care of participants as required and complete the communication tool daily
• Maintain accurate records for the participants attending the program
• Notify the Senior Leader and/or Inclusion Coordinator of any problems and/or recommendations regarding the participants, their parents, or facilities which may affect the program
• Assist with program planning and delivery, participate in program specific special events and off-ground trips with the Senior Leader and other leadership staff
• Attend all mandatory staff functions: training, staff meetings and site clean-ups and all allocated program times
• Participate in pre-camp family meeting(s) as required
• Any other duties that may be assigned by the Senior Leaders and/or Inclusion Coordinator(s)
• Must hold prior to start date:
-Current First Aid Certificate at the emergency level
-HIGH FIVE Principles of Healthy Child Development (PHCD) Certification (see below for more information)
• Produce a satisfactory Criminal Reference Check (CRC) including a vulnerable sector screening, dated within 30 days of hire
• Minimum two (2) years’ experience working in a children’s camp environment or equivalent experience
• Minimum two (2) years’ experience working with persons with disabilities or equivalent experience
• Experience with one to one support including feeding and changing participants with disabilities
• Knowledge of program adaptations and behavior modification techniques
• Strong problem solving and effective program planning skills
• Crisis prevention intervention (CPI), Behaviour Management Systems Training (BMST) or equivalent considered an asset
• Able to perform all activities including but not limited to: lifting a minimum of 50 lbs.
• Swimming skills and comfort in the water are an asset
Types of Support Offerings
• 1:1 support for children aged 4-12
• 1:4 support for teens aged 13-21
• Group behavioural support
HIGH FIVE Principles of Healthy Child Development (PHCD Certification) Information:
• All successful candidates will be required to obtain HIGH FIVE Principles of Healthy Child Development (PHCD) Certification prior to commencement of duties. To find out more information on how to sign up for a training session, please visit http://www.highfive.org/training-calendar/upcoming
The successful candidate will be required to submit proof of full vaccination in accordance with the town’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and Procedure. Accommodation requests for new hires that are unable to get vaccinated against COVID-19 for reasons protected under the Ontario Human Rights Code must be made in writing to the Human Resources department.
This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview process that their qualifications match those specified. Applicants may also be required to undergo testing.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Starting at $17.69 per hour
Human Resources Assistant
1225 Trafalgar Road Oakville, Ontario L6H0H3
905 845 6601 Ext 2845
Job Posting Link