London Health Sciences Centre
London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) is a multi-site facility located in southern Ontario in the city of London - known as the forest city. LHSC is one of the largest acute care teaching hospitals in Canada and provides the broadest range of patient services of any hospital in Ontario. LHSC is home to many medical breakthroughs and has achieved more than 70 Canadian, North American and world medical firsts since 1948, such as: Canada's first heart transplant with positive outcome, Canada's first heart-lung transplant, and Canada’s first totally endoscopic closed-chest robotic beating heart coronary artery bypass surgery. Perfusion participates in combined Cardiac/Vascular surgeries such as: Hybrid Arch reconstructions, Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair (a non-staged frozen elephant trunk with replacement of entire descending aorta) as well as minimally invasive mitral valve repairs and other minimally invasive procedures.Our physicians, residents and staff number is nearly 15,000 and, together, they provided care for more than one million patients last year.
Our dedicated perfusion team is responsible for two hospital sites, Victoria and University hospitals. University hospital is the primary cardiac center with 4 Cardiac ORs. Annually, our perfusion team performs approximately 1550 cardiac cases, 550 cell savers, 115 balloons as well as ECMOS, VADS, V-V bypass for liver transplants and isolated visceral perfusion. Victoria hospital is London’s primary urgent care center. Here, we are responsible for running cell salvage for vascular and orthopedic surgeries in pediatric and adult patients.
The teamwork at LHSC between perfusion, surgery, anesthesia and nursing is unmatched by no center across the country both clinically in the operating suite and academically outside of the OR. LHSC has now completed over 600 heart transplants, more than any other Canadian center. LHSC is an accredited clinical training site for the Michener Health Institute. LHSC is committed to supporting both education and research and the perfusion team has a long standing history of participation with both the OSCP and the CSCP.
Rate of Pay: $44.69 per hour - $56.77 per hour
Hours of Work: up to 37.5 hours per week
• Successful completion of a CMA Accredited Perfusion Program
• Certified Perfusionist or eligible for certification with the Canadian Society of Clinical Perfusion and the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion
• Minimum two years recent relevant experience preferred
• Previous experience with membrane oxygenators, cardiac assist devices and hemoconcentration
• Demonstrated ability to contribute to the ongoing development and improvement of our clinical perfusion practice as well as an interest in research and the publication/presentation of related research is considered to be essential
• Ability to work in conjunction with Cardiac Surgeons and other members of the health care team
• Advanced ability to conduct cardiopulmonary bypass
• Experience with the many facets of extracorporeal technology, i.e. cell salvaging and plasma sequestration, intra-aortic balloon pumping, ventricular assist devices and ECMO preferred
• Clinical involvement includes liver and heart transplantation as well as neurosurgical intervention
• Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated flexibility, adaptability and ability to manage change in a dynamic environment
• Effective organizational skills involving time management and prioritization
• Ability to work under tension and make frequent decisions without direction
• Ability to operate equipment for extended periods and willingness to work long hours
• Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to the principles of patient and family centered care
• Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to patient and staff safety at LHSC
• Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis
London Health Sciences Centre provides a culture of patient and staff safety whereby all employees are guided by LHSC's Mission, Vision, Values and Code of Conduct.
We are committed to providing a safe, healthy and inclusive work environment that inspires respect. LHSC encourages applications from persons with disabilities and we are committed to providing accommodations upon request.
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidates, as a condition of job offer, would be required to provide a satisfactory Police Information Check (original document) completed in the last 3 months.
Should you wish to submit an application, please apply to posting # 72510 on LHSC Careers website
Rate of Pay: $44.69 per hour - $56.77 per hour
Job Posting Link