Clinical Extern – Allied Health
Durham Region, ON
The Clinical Extern Program is an extraordinary, real-world opportunity available to students enrolled in one of the following accredited programs: Occupational Therapy, Occupational Therapist Assistant/Physical Therapist Assistant, Respiratory Therapy, Paramedic, Personal Support Worker, or Physical Therapist. This program will allow students to work as an Unregulated Health Care Worker in one of our clinical areas while gaining hands-on experience in performing fundamental patient care duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES:
The Clinical Extern – Allied Health will assist patients and the care team with activities including bathing, dressing, eating, mobilizing, including lifts, transfers and ambulation, arranging virtual visits with family and other patient care duties as assigned by the regulated healthcare professional.
Assigned within the interprofessional team to an identified regulated health professional and reporting to the unit Manager, the Clinical Extern – Allied Health will assist with the functioning of the interprofessional team at the patient care level. The Clinical Extern will adhere to strict confidentiality and contribute as an enthusiastic and patient-focused mature reliable student towards a positive patient and family experience.
- Currently enrolled and in the process of completing one of the following accredited programs: Respiratory Therapy, OT/PT Assistant, Personal Support Worker, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Paramedic;
- Proven ability to maintain strict confidentiality;
- Previous experience assisting patients with ADLS and mobility;
- BCLS preferred;
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and ability to work collaboratively as part of a team;
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service and a contributing to a positive patient experience;
- Proven critical thinking and organizational skills with ability to take initiative;
- Ability to work all shifts as necessary;
- An official school transcript will be required if you are invited to be interviewed for this position;
- Demonstrated commitment to our core values of Inclusion, Compassion, Innovation, Teamwork and Joy;
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to Lakeridge Health's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety, environmental safety and participation in regular in-service education in this area; and
- Proven good attendance record with capability of maintaining this same standard;
Days, Evenings, Nights, Weekends – 8 and 12 hour shifts (Subject to change)
$22.22 per hour
The terms and conditions of employment are in accordance with the Collective Agreement between the Hospital and C.U.P.E Local 6364.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the recruitment and assessment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
At Lakeridge Health we value inclusion and diversity. We are committed to fostering a culture that is respectful, inclusive and accessible and to employing a workforce that is representative of the diverse community we provide services to. As an equal opportunity employer we welcome applications from all qualified applicants.
Talent Acquisition Assistant
Job Posting Link