Diabetes Educator, RN
Michael Garron Hospital
Join Michael Garron Hospital (MGH) and Ontario’s leading community teaching hospital as we create health and build community. We have proudly served the diverse, multi-cultural population of East Toronto since 1929, offering an extensive range of inpatient, outpatient and community-based programs and services delivered by more than 2,500 employees and 400 physicians and midwives. We are the Heart of the East!
Reporting to Manager Ambulatory OPD and Diabetes Inpatient/Outpatient Services the Diabetes Educator RN provides focused diabetes self-management education to Prenatal, Adult Type1, and complex Adult Type2 Diabetes patients referred for Specialized tertiary care.
- Baccalaureate degree in Nursing is an asset.
- Current Certification in Diabetes Education (CDE) required.
- Competent to perform CPR at a Basic Cardiac Life Support level.
- Current RN license in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario is required.
- Minimum 2 years direct diabetes education experience including individual counselling and Group education is required.
- Minimum 3 years Nursing experience with specific knowledge and experience in adult Medicine and diabetes complications is required.
- Good working knowledge of Type 1 diabetes management, diabetes in pregnancy, and diabetes care challenges in the frail elderly is required.
- Familiarity with Type 1 self-management support of personal sc insulin pumps, an asset
- Evidence of sound organizational skills with the ability to work collaboratively in a complex, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills as they relate to individual counselling, Group education, and interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing self-directed professional education and clinical leadership.
- Familiar with practical application of Adult learning principles and motivational enhancement in chronic disease self-management. Respects patient autonomy, and promotes patient self-efficacy.
- Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues, volunteers, community and public.
- Knowledge and comfort using MSOffice, and evolving e-health applications.
-Comfort and skill assessing, educating and engaging patients in self-management using virtual means
- Ability to perform the essential duties and physical demands of the position.
- Demonstrated pattern of good attendance and work record.
- Commitment to safety standards and practices including staff safety, patient safety, and environmental safety.
- All employees of Michael Garron Hospital (MGH), a division of Toronto East Health Network (TEHN) [formerly Toronto East General Hospital (TEGH)] agree to work within the legislated practices of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario.
- All employees of MGH are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by MGH.
- All employees are accountable for protecting the psychological health and safety of themselves and their co-workers through adherence to MGH's policies and practices.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you are ready to join MGH, please visit our Careers page at www.tehn.ca > Careers > Career Opportunities > JOB NUMBER: J0623-0051 to apply to the role
Disclaimer: Please note that we will be reviewing candidates as submitted, and therefore, early applications are encouraged.
Michael Garron Hospital (MGH) champions accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity through the creation of an inclusive and diverse work environment. At Michael Garron Hospital, we strive to be an equitable and inclusive employer. We encourage candidates from Black, First Nations, Métis and Inuit, racialized and LGBTQ2S+ communities, people of colour, women, people with disabilities and individuals who identify with the diverse communities that we serve, to join the MGH team.
Through our values of Compassion, Respect, Integrity, Inclusion and Courage, Michael Garron Hospital is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC). Should you require an accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please let us know how we can work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
MGH Recruitment Team
825 Coxwell Avenue
416 469 6580
Job Posting Link