Diabetes Specialist – Diabetes Education
Scarborough Health Network
cross our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. We are also proud to be named one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures for 2023! Learn more at shn.caFOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination status to the Hospital’s Workplace Health and Safety department. Fully vaccinated: having received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine or combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by WHO (e.g., two doses of a two-dose vaccine series, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series), and having received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days ago.
The Diabetes Education Specialist provides comprehensive in depth clinical assessment and consultation to a population of diabetic patients. The Specialist provides supportive counseling to patients, families, and community groups, and provides formal and informational education to patients.
• Current registration with the Ontario College of Nurses
• Certified Diabetes Educator
• Minimum 3 years nursing experience in a diabetes education center with specific knowledge and experience in adult diabetes, gestational diabetes and intensive insulin management.
• Experience in adjusting insulin
• Insulin Pump Experience an asset
• Evidence of sound organizational and prioritization
• Knowledge of adult learning theory and principles
• Excellent communication and facilitation skills
• Demonstrated leadership, problem solving and conflict resolution skills
• Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards
• Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community
• Demonstrates values consistent with SHN′s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
• Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to SHN's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety, and environmental safety and participates in regular in-service education in this area.
• Demonstrates excellent work performance and attendance record
• Ability to speak another language
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Master′s degree preferred
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our exciting opportunities by following SHNCareers on Twitter and on Instagram.
$37.93/hr - $54.37/hr
For any questions about the position or hiring process, please contact Jasmine, HR Recruiter, at email@example.com
Talent Requisition and Client Support Associate
Job Posting Link