Diagnostic Sonographer I
Alberta Health Services
Mazankowski Heart Institute
We care for people. Together
The Mazankowski Heart Institute is housed within the University of Alberta Hospital and is a world leader in complex cardiac care and surgery. With a collaborative approach, a team of highly skilled cardiologists, cardiovascular surgeons, cardiac care professionals, researchers and educators are advancing the prevention, detection, treatment and study of cardiovascular disease. The Echocardiography (ECHO) lab at the Mazankowski is seeking an experienced and dynamic Diagnostic Sonographer I to join their team of professionals. More than just a hospital, the Mazankowski Heart Institute exemplifies AHS culture and values along with a philosophy of patient-and-family-centred-care.
As a Diagnostic Sonographer with the Echocardiography (ECHO) lab at the Mazankowski, you will be responsible for the coordination and performance of Cardiac Ultrasound examinations, including adult transthoracic, transesophageal, dobutamine stress test, and exercise stress echocardiograms. In this position you will also be responsible for in-patient and out-patient tests as well as portable echocardiograms. Under limited supervision, you will perform standardized and complex procedures for the diagnosis and tracking of disease and pathology. Leadership duties as an ECHO Diagnostic Sonographer include teaching ultrasound students and medical residents.
In the Diagnostic Sonographer position, you will perform a variety of standardized and complex ultrasound services for the diagnosis and tracking of disease and pathology. Responsibilities include preparing the patient for examination, reviewing patient history, explaining procedures, obtaining ultrasound images of diagnostic quality, and takes initial action to resolve abnormal findings. You will assist with diagnosis, clinical intervention and patient management – all while ensuring a high level of patient care and safety.
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support – Healthcare Provider (BCLS-HCP)
- Registered with Canadian Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (CSDMS), the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) and/or the Canadian Association of Registered Diagnostic Ultrasound Professionals (CARDUP)
- Excellent time management, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Displays professionalism.
- Good decision making skills, capable of showing initiative and maintaining a cooperative and flexible attitude.
- Displays tact, courtesy, and empathy when dealing with patients and families.
- The ability to work independently as well as effectively with others in a wide variety of clinical and educational situations.
- Demonstrated excellence in verbal and written skills.
- Working knowledge of computer applications.
Cardiac Sciences Vision: Inspiring Innovation and Knowledge, Leaders in Patient Care.
Alberta Health Services offers a challenging work environment that provides opportunities for personal achievement and career growth. AHS also supports on-going professional development through funding, internal and external educational opportunities. Eligible employees enjoy a full range of benefits including life insurance, short term disability, long-term disability, Local Authority Pension Plan, accidental death & dismemberment insurance, as well as medical, dental, and extended health care benefits.