General Duty Technologist – Diagnostic Medical Genetics
Job Description Responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Performs Medical Genetic procedures as outlined in the laboratory procedures manual to aid in diagnosis and management of patients.
• Rotates through the laboratory, becoming thoroughly familiar with theory and performance of all procedures and techniques relating to each bench area
• Comprehensive working knowledge of the theory, methodologies and procedures in Medical Genetics to perform analytical testing with accuracy and precision; must demonstrate competency and accountability in decisions and actions.
• Identifies and accurately reports cytogenetic findings using the International System for Human Cytogenetic Nomenclature • Ensures the accuracy, legibility and completeness of results submitted for reporting where applicable.
• Performs basic troubleshooting of test results, stains, instruments and observes and reports poor results or malfunctions of any equipment to designated technical staff.
• Performs all quality control procedures and basic troubleshooting whenever results are beyond expected or allowable limits according to established protocol.
• Reports unresolved problems to the senior technical or supervisory staff.
• Seeks decision to post-pone in-house testing when immediate repairs are not feasible.
• Accessions and processes specimens in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Prioritizes work and responds to urgent or unpredicted demands for specimen processing or testing
• Reads and maintains understanding of relevant policy and procedure manuals
• Prepare reagents, buffers, calibrators, quality control and other materials as required. Assists in Inventory Control of reagents and supplies
• Reports critical or relevant abnormal results and documents according to the established protocols • Rotates through relevant areas of the laboratory, acquires familiarity relating to each bench area
• Assists in the maintenance of the work station. Maintains a clean and tidy work area
• Performs the required daily and weekly routine preventative maintenance on equipment, according to the established protocol, and documents these results
• Performs test/procedures related to method evaluation, test optimization and validation
• May work unsupervised during off hour shifts, subject to evaluation of knowledge and competency
• Uses supplies judiciously to eliminate wastage, monitors inventory and orders supplies
• Reports workload units not captured electronically
• Observes and follows the processes, polices and procedures of the quality management system of corresponding discipline(s)
• Performs tests on materials from internal and external quality assurance programs; participates in reviewing quality control
• Assists in orientating and demonstrating procedures or technology to new staff or students as requested
• Follows Universal Body Precautions in handling all specimens received in the laboratory
• Operates, troubleshoots and routine maintenance of laboratory equipment and reports any malfunctions to Senior or Charge technologist promptly
• Exhibits ability to prioritise work and respond to urgent unpredictable demands in STAT results
• Notifies/consults with the Charge technologist or Section Head with abnormal results or other unusual findings immediately
• Assists in demonstrating procedures to new staff, students and fellows
• Knowledgeable of Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (W.H.M.I.S.) and accessibility of Material Safety Data Sheets (M.S.D.S.)
• Participates in annual Safety programs (W.H.M.I.S., Fire Prevention)
• Participates in Continuing Education programs to enhance personal
• proficiency • Exhibits a co-operative attitude with other staff, congeniality, flexibility in hours of work, reliability, punctuality, ability to work at a variety of duties and flexibility in learning new procedures
• Perform procedures related to analytical testing or processing of patient samples according to established policies and procedures, while ensuring accuracy and precision. Performs advanced and special testing under guidance.
• Responsible for all diagnostic results and sample processing performed by self
• Performs the following techniques as applicable to the testing being performed and interprets results with an understanding of the disease being analyzed:
- DNA extraction from fresh or frozen blood, fresh, frozen or paraffin-embedded tissue - RNA extraction from fresh or frozen blood, fresh or frozen tissue - Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) - Reverse transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) - Quantitative fluorescent polymerase chain reaction (QF-PCR) techniques and analysis - Gel electrophoresis and analysis - DNA sequencing and analysis - Microsatellite Instability Testing (MSI) techniques and analysis - Multiplex Ligation-dependent Probe Amplification (MLPA) techniques and analysis - aCGH techniques and analysis - G-banding - Special stains, FISH and other procedures as required - microscopic (bright field & fluorescent) analysis of chromosome preparations - digital imaging and computer automated karyotyping of chromosome preparations
• C.S.M.L.S. certified MLT in Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics
• Technology (Dual License) and a member of the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO)
• Experience in Medical Genetics preferred
• Follows the CMLTO code of professional conduct
• Follows the Code of Professional Conduct of the C.S.M.L.S.
• Demonstrated problem recognition and problem solving skills
• Demonstrated organizational, time management and prioritization skills
• Demonstrated ability to work co-operatively in a team environment
• Demonstrated satisfactory work performance and attendance record
Type of Job
Must be available 37.5 hours per week and occasional evenings and weekends Subject to change
As per OPSEU Collective Agreement
All applications must be submitted by no later than 4:00 p.m. of the posting deadline date.
Please apply direct to Mount Sinai Hospital Career Portal
Requisition # 1170