General Duty Technologist – Medical Genetics
Mount Sinai Hospital
In 2015, Bridgepoint Active Healthcare, Circle of Care, Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute and Mount Sinai Hospital, came together to form Sinai Health System – and leverage our collective expertise and create a system that better responds to the changing needs of our patients, families and clients. Sinai Health has a bold vision and strategy for the future: To create Canada's leading health system pushing the boundaries to realize the best health and care for complex patients.A key enabler of this vision is Sinai Health’s People Plan – which provides an explicit commitment to our people about our commitment to creating a workplace culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to ultimately provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers.
Mount Sinai Hospital Campus - Toronto, ON M5G 1X5 CA (Primary)
• Performs Medical Genetic procedures as outlined in the laboratory procedures manual to aid in diagnosis and management of patients.
• Rotates through the laboratory, becoming thoroughly familiar with theory and performance of all procedures and techniques relating to each bench area
• Comprehensive working knowledge of the theory, methodologies and procedures in Medical Genetics to perform analytical testing with accuracy and precision; must demonstrate competency and accountability in decisions and actions.
• Identifies and accurately reports cytogenetic findings using the International System for Human Cytogenetic
• Ensures the accuracy, legibility and completeness of results submitted for reporting where applicable.
• Performs basic troubleshooting of test results, stains, instruments and observes and reports poor results or malfunctions of any equipment to designated technical staff.
• Performs all quality control procedures and basic troubleshooting whenever results are beyond expected or allowable limits according to established protocol.
• Reports unresolved problems to the senior technical or supervisory staff.
• Seeks decision to post-pone in-house testing when immediate repairs are not feasible.
• Accessions and processes specimens in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Prioritizes work and responds to urgent or unpredicted demands for specimen processing or testing
• Reads and maintains understanding of relevant policy and procedure manuals
• Prepare reagents, buffers, calibrators, quality control and other materials as required. Assists in Inventory Control of reagents and supplies
• Reports critical or relevant abnormal results and documents according to the established protocols
• Rotates through relevant areas of the laboratory, acquires familiarity relating to each bench area
• Assists in the maintenance of the work station. Maintains a clean and tidy work area
• Performs the required daily and weekly routine preventative maintenance on equipment, according to the established protocol, and documents these results
• Performs test/procedures related to method evaluation, test optimization and validation
• May work unsupervised during off hour shifts, subject to evaluation of knowledge and competency
• Uses supplies judiciously to eliminate wastage, monitors inventory and orders supplies
• Reports workload units not captured electronically
• Observes and follows the processes, policies and procedures of the quality management system of corresponding discipline(s)
• Performs tests on materials from internal and external quality assurance programs; participates in reviewing quality control
• Assists in orientating and demonstrating procedures or technology to new staff or students as requested
• Follows Universal Body Precautions in handling all specimens received in the laboratory
• Operates, troubleshoots and routine maintenance of laboratory equipment and reports any malfunctions to Senior or Charge technologist promptly
• Exhibits ability to prioritize work and respond to urgent unpredictable demands in STAT results
• Notifies/consults with the Charge technologist or Section Head with abnormal results or other unusual findings immediately
• Assists in demonstrating procedures to new staff, students and fellows
• Knowledgeable of Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (W.H.M.I.S.) and accessibility of Material Safety Data Sheets (M.S.D.S.)
• Participates in annual Safety programs (W.H.M.I.S., Fire Prevention)
• Participates in Continuing Education programs to enhance personal
• Exhibits a co-operative attitude with other staff, congeniality, flexibility in hours of work, reliability, punctuality, ability to work at a variety of duties and flexibility in learning new procedures
• Perform procedures related to analytical testing or processing of patient samples according to established policies and procedures, while ensuring accuracy and precision. Performs advanced and special testing under guidance.
• Responsible for all diagnostic results and sample processing performed by self
• Performs the following techniques as applicable to the testing being performed and interprets results with an understanding of the disease being analyzed:
- DNA extraction from fresh or frozen blood, fresh, frozen or paraffin-embedded tissue
- RNA extraction from fresh or frozen blood, fresh or frozen tissue
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
- Reverse transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR)
- Quantitative fluorescent polymerase chain reaction (QF-PCR) techniques and analysis
- Gel electrophoresis and analysis
- DNA sequencing and analysis
- Microsatellite Instability Testing (MSI) techniques and analysis
- Multiplex Ligation-dependent Probe Amplification (MLPA) techniques and analysis
- aCGH techniques and analysis
- Special stains, FISH and other procedures as required
- microscopic (bright field & fluorescent) analysis of chromosome preparations
- digital imaging and computer automated karyotyping of chromosome preparations
• C.S.M.L.S. certified MLT in Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics
• Technology (Dual License) and a member of the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO)
• Candidates eligible to write the February 2020 Clinical Genetics CSMLS exam may be considered
• Experience in Medical Genetics preferred
• Follows the CMLTO code of professional conduct
• Follows the Code of Professional Conduct of the C.S.M.L.S.
• Demonstrated problem recognition and problem solving skills
• Demonstrated organizational, time management and prioritization skills
• Demonstrated ability to work co-operatively in a team environment
• Demonstrated satisfactory work performance and attendance record
• In accordance with accreditation standards, employment is conditional upon demonstrating proof of visual color discrimination ability pertinent to the essential duties of the job.
Temporary Full Time
Human Resources Specialist
416-586-4800 X 5043