Genetics Analysis Specialist
London Health Sciences Centre
Applications are being accepted for a Genetics Analysis Specialist in the Molecular Genetics Laboratory, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (PaLM), London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) and Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry at Western University (Western). This position has an initial duration of twelve months, with the possibility of extension. The laboratory specialist will be accountable to the Laboratory Coordinator and the Molecular Geneticists.
LHSC Clinical Molecular Genetics Laboratory is a state-of-the-art diagnostic facility, performing constitutional and somatic genetic testing both regionally, as a provincial reference site, and nationally. The lab currently employs 19 staff and utilizes classical (Sanger, RT-PCR, genotyping) and state-of-the-art molecular technologies including NGS (Illumina, Ion Torent), and microarray platforms.
The successful candidate will combine understanding and expertise in genetics/genomics, bioinformatics, and biomedical research with experience in project management.
• Manage the regular review, processing, interpretation, and analysis of genetic variants.
• Monitor the scientific literature for publications related to genetic variation .
• Maintain laboratory internal databases of genetic variation, and supporting clinical and scientific literature databases.
• Participate in development of variant annotation pipelines and draft reporting templates.
• Participate in genetic test development and development and implementation of new technologies, with opportunities to contribute to academic activities.
• PhD in molecular biology, genetics, bioinformatics, or related field, or MSc with genetic counselling and genomics experience
• Experience working with human genetics data in research or clinical setting
• Experience in research related to human genetics or experience with genetic variant curation and interpretation of clinical relevance
• Experience writing and editing scientific materials for external audiences
• Data management expertise (including scientific, genetics/genomic and/or medical data)
• Strong written and verbal communication, collaboration and problem-solving skills
• Proven excellence working in a team environment with strong interpersonal, communication and conflict resolution skills
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate, develop and maintain effective relationships within healthcare teams
• Demonstrated flexibility and the ability to manage change in a dynamic environment (work assignment, procedures, priorities)
• Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to the principles of patient and family centred care
• Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to patient and staff safety at LHSC
• Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis
37.5 hours a week
A highly competitive salary with benefits will be paid commensurate with experience
London Health Sciences Centre fosters a culture of patient and staff safety whereby all employees are guided by LHSC's Mission, Vision, Values and Code of Conduct.
We are committed to providing a safe, healthy and inclusive work environment that inspires respect. LHSC encourages applications from persons with disabilities and we are committed to providing accommodations upon request.
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidates, as a condition of job offer, would be required to provide a satisfactory police information check (original document) completed in the last 3 months.
London Health Sciences Centre