Kirkland and District Hospital
• Abide by the Standards of Practice as laid out by the CMLTO and CSMLS.
• Perform Laboratory practices in accordance with established standards: The Public Hospital’s Act, Accreditation Canada, Ontario Laboratory Accreditation (OLA), Terms and conditions of existing collective agreements.
• Maintains and promotes the confidentiality of patients’ health information.
• Contribute and adhere to the development and maintenance of KDH and departmental philosophy, objectives, policies and procedures.
• Will accept work assignments and perform tests, which require the exercise of independent judgment
• Prioritize workload.
• Will apply health and safety measures at all times to ensure the safety and protection of patients, colleagues, self and the environment
• Use personal protective equipment and laboratory safety devices as required and maintain a safe work environment
• Participate in relevant KDH programs, including Quality, Risk Management, Disaster Response, WHMIS, Fire Training, Hand Hygiene and other programs as required.
• Participate in the orientation and training of new employees and students.
• Follow established protocols as defined in policy and procedure manuals in compliance with laboratory, hospital and OLA guidelines
• Carry out and interpret quality control procedures on reagents, materials, equipment and techniques used, to confirm accuracy, precision specificity and sensitivity of all test results.
• Support an environment of quality service reflective of the mission, role, vision and values of the Hospital and the laboratory.
• The medical Laboratory Technologist possesses scientific knowledge of the theory, techniques and clinical application of medical laboratory procedures. They understand and apply this knowledge of medical laboratory science to current practice. They ensure continued competence by maintaining their professional skills.
• They understand the relationship between analyses, diagnoses, clinical information and treatment and are able to offer information and support to other members of the health care team.
• Make records of all readings, calculations and results obtained on patient samples, quality control material, standards and equipment as observed by the technologist.
• Be alert to unusual or abnormal test findings, also of any difficulties or problems encountered during the performance of the day’s work and be able to troubleshoot those findings as appropriate.
• Collection of patient blood samples
• Follow all hospital and laboratory policies and procedures for safety, infection control and continuing education.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships, while demonstrating tact and discretion when dealing with patients, the general public, other employees and physicians.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Current Registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario and experience in a core lab environment
• Actively participate in continuous education to ensure that registration requirements of CMLTO are met
• Graduate of a Medical Laboratory Technology Program at the College or University level.
• Fluency in both official languages is an asset.
• Considerable initiative ,excellent judgement and ability to prioritize
• Excellent Phlebotomy skills
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, Meditech and other computer programs as needed.
31.32 per hour
Human Resources Assistant
145 Government Road East, Kirkland Lake, ON
705-567-5251 ext. 3204