Lab Technologist II
Alberta Health Services
Lac La Biche, AB
Discover a challenging work environment that will provide you support and opportunities for personal achievement and career growth in beautiful Lac La Biche. Living in a small town that's close to a big city offers the best of all worlds. Lac La Biche is a growing community located 220 km northeast of Edmonton. Lac La Biche prides itself on its clean air, unobstructed views, and hospitable community. It is the regional centre for business, health care, education, and government services. It has a state of the art recreational facility, and for the outdoor enthusiasts, there are over 150 beaches throughout the region. Come for a great career and stay for what life has to offer.
As our new Medical Laboratory Technologist II, you will have the opportunity to grow your career as you collaborate with a variety of clinical professionals, including the Manager and Area Coordinator for the Laboratory Services program. You will provide leadership by applying your comprehensive knowledge and experience to act as a resource to other laboratory staff, ensuring staff competency, coaching, participating in performance appraisals, zone initiatives, recruitment, and helping to train new employees and student placements. You'll organize workflow and area processes, and assist with payroll verification and staff scheduling. If this sounds like the next step in your career, you've found your fit with Alberta Health Services.
With your attention to detail, accuracy and ability to ensure precise quality results, you would perform a variety of manual and automated procedures in all laboratory disciplines. You will also be comfortable with the equipment in a medical lab setting and be able to perform equipment maintenance and troubleshooting on various laboratory instruments. You will also be responsible for quality control review, troubleshooting and documentation as well as maintaining supply levels, and ensuring that area protocols are followed, and that accreditation standards, as well as safety of medical laboratory staff are maintained.
• Graduation from an accredited Medical Laboratory Technology program.
• Current registration and MLT Practice Permit with the Alberta College of Medical Laboratory Technologists (CMLTA).
• Registration with Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Services (CSMLS) (eg. General, Diagnostic, Cytology, or Clinical Genetics).
• Minimum of five years' experience in the designated laboratory division with strong Transfusion Medicine skills.
• Meditech experience preferred.
• Ability to organize, and work efficiently in a dynamic environment.
• Ability to make decisions and problem-solve.
• Ability to demonstrate sound judgment and good leadership skills.
• Ability to assume responsibility.
• Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to represent department with a professional manner.
Note: It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide proof of all required certification. Employers retain the discretion to request CSMLS certification.
$36.81 to $47.30 per hour
Who We Are:
Laboratory Services offers a comprehensive range of routine testing out of the William J. Cadzow - Lac La Biche Healthcare Centre, which has 23 acute care beds and 40 continuing care beds, along with a new dialysis unit being built. The Laboratory Services team is comprised of 1 Medical Laboratory Technologist II, 2 Combined Laboratory/X-Ray Technologists, 4 Medical Laboratory Technologist Is, and 2 Medical Laboratory Assistants. Here, the Laboratory Services team provides support to clinicians in the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of disease for the community residents. AHS Laboratory Services supports a patient-focused approach and expert consultation is available to assist laboratory staff, care providers, and users of our services.
We provide a comprehensive benefits plan to enhance the health and well-being of our employees and their families. This includes (but is not limited to) health, dental, vision, disability and lifestyle considerations. Visit Alberta Health Services' website to view an overview of the benefits plan.
Mandatory conditions of employment and continued employment:
• All employees must provide a criminal record check that is satisfactory to AHS in compliance with the AHS Security Screening Procedure.
• All professions must provide proof of licensure or registration with the approved Alberta regulatory college, prior to commencing duties with AHS where applicable:
- Regulated health professions under the Alberta Health Professions Act and Health Disciplines Act will be required to provide an original copy of a valid practice permit before commencing their duties with AHS.
- Other professions governed by government acts, college or regulatory body requirements may be required to provide additional documentation.
AHS Job postings close at 23:59 Alberta Time (Mountain Standard Time) on the posting closed date indicated.