Laboratory Technician, Clinical Pathology
University of Guelph
The Animal Health Laboratory (AHL) is seeking a qualified Laboratory Technician (Medical Laboratory Technologist) for the Clinical Pathology Section, to perform manual, semi-automated and highly automated diagnostic testing methods in an accredited, full service veterinary diagnostic laboratory. The clinical pathology laboratory offers a full spectrum of testing services is provided to clients including: hematology, cytology, biochemistry, urinalysis, coagulation, blood banking, endocrinology, and pharmacology. Additional duties include: receiving and entering specimen information into the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS); responding to client inquiries; preparing specimens and reagents and selecting and conducting appropriate test or tests based on submission history; ensuring specimens are properly and safely filed, stored or disposed of as appropriate; conforming to the quality system and ensuring quality control is maintained.
Requirements of the position include:
• Three year community college Medical Laboratory Technologist or equivalent, and a minimum one year related experience is preferred, however new MLT graduates will be considered;
• Knowledge of biochemistry, hematology, coagulation, and endocrine instrumentation is essential;
• Knowledge of species specific sampling and testing requirements, including avian/reptilian and non-domestic mammalian species is preferred;
• An understanding of medical terminology and the ability to communicate clearly with both internal and external clients is essential;
• A demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a stressful, high-volume, time-sensitive laboratory setting;
• The ability to adapt quickly and assume other responsibilities (for example STAT testing);
• A working knowledge of quality assurance and quality control concepts, as well as the ability to investigate and act upon non-conforming quality control and sample results;
• Knowledge and understanding of WHMIS and Occupational Health & Safety in a laboratory environment.
Must be or willing to be rabies vaccinated.
Hours of work are 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, and/or Tuesday to Saturday, on a scheduled rotational basis. Hours of work can change due to operational requirements.
Position Number 482-020
Classification USW, Local 4120 Salary Band 5*
Salary Range $24.42 Minimum (Level 1)
$27.28 Normal Hiring Limit (Level 3)
$33.05 Job Rate (Level 7)
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review
Please visit the University of Guelph-Human Resources website for application instructions:
Talent Acquisition Associate
50 Stone Road East