Medical Lab Assistant Tech 3 – Laboratory – Part Time
Sault Area Hospital
Serving a catchment population of approximately 115,000 SAH provides primary, secondary and select tertiary services to residents in Sault Ste. Marie and the District of Algoma.In addition to providing core services in Emergency and Critical Care; Medicine; Surgery; Obstetrics, Maternity and Pediatrics; Mental Health and Addictions; Complex Continuing Care; and Rehabilitation, SAH is also home to the Algoma Regional Renal Program and the Algoma District Cancer Program including radiation therapy services. SAH is extremely proud of our entire team of over 1700 dedicated staff, 365 physicians and 535 volunteers.
1. Procure blood samples.
2. Prepare sample for analysis (e.g. separation numbering – including referral specimens).
3. Prepare reagents, media and smears (e.g. blood films).
4. Stain smears.
5. Coverslip slide preparations.
6. Concentrate stool samples for Parasitology examinations.
7. Plant and streak microbiology specimens and controls, including set-up of anaerobic and CO2 jars, for reading by a Medical Laboratory Technician.
8. Subculture stock cultures in Bacteriology.
9. Titration using a pH meter.
10. Urinalysis (excluding microscopic).
11. Record quality control results for interpretation and approval by qualified staff as listed above.
12. Operate automated instruments after proper functioning has been established by qualified staff as listed above.
13. Set-up of erythrocyte sedimentation rates.
14. Set-up of micro hematocrits.
15. Set-up of serology tests (e.g. occult blood, pregnancy test – to be read and interpreted immediately by a Medical Laboratory Technician).
16. Routine equipment maintenance.
17. Monitor temperature of thermally controlled equipment.
18. Transcribe results from worksheets to reports.
19. File records and retrieve files.
20. Wash glassware.
21. Prepare kits.
22. Other duties as assigned.
1. Certification by the Ontario Society of Medical Technologists (or other professional body) as Laboratory Assistant (or higher)
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITY:
2. Ability to work effectively and efficiently as a team member in a fast paced environment in stressful situations.
3. Customer service, interpersonal and telephone skills.
4. Computer literacy in a Microsoft environment.
5. Ability to maintain successful working relationships with the interdisciplinary team to achieve positive patient outcomes.
6. Ability to organize time effectively to perform the duties of the position.
7. Ability to meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner.
8. Behavior consistent with Hospital Mission, Values and Standards of Performance.
9. Human relations skills including empathy, sensitivity, understanding of human and organizational behavior, motivational techniques and counseling skills (e.g. teaching patients).
10. Ability to read, write and communicate to perform the duties of the position.
11. Knowledge of laboratory equipment maintenance and operation required.
12. Knowledge of sterile tissue culture conditions as required by assigned area.
$25.92 - $29.88/ hr
HR Assistant Consultant
750 Great Northern R. Sault Ste. Marie, ON
705.759.3434 ext 6909