Medical Laboratory Assistant Tech
Sault Area Hospital
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario is located on the St. Mary’s River between Lake Huron and Lake Superior on the U.S. /Canadian border. The Sault has all the amenities of a regional urban centre, with both the Canadian wilderness and extraordinary vacation areas in northern Ontario and Michigan just minutes away. There is a strong cultural and arts basis in the community, and both winter and summer outdoor activities abound. The Sault has an excellent school system and offers a multitude of sports and artistic opportunities for children and adults alike. Sault Ste. Marie is served by three Canadian airlines as well as one major U.S. airline.Sault Area Hospital (SAH) is a new state-of-the-art facility recently opened in 2011. With approval for 291 inpatient beds and 14 Intensivist led ICU beds, SAH provides emergency, primary, secondary, selected tertiary and long-term care healthcare services to the city and the District of Algoma with a catchment population of approximately 115,000. Programs include the Algoma District Cancer Program and a Regional Renal Program.The Sault Area Hospital Laboratory Medicine Program services include medical biochemistry, hematopathology, transfusion services, medical microbiology, cytology, and surgical pathology. We seek to recruit General and/or Anatomical Pathologist(s) to fill our complement of four (4) fully-funded LMFFA Pathologist positions. Service duties will be predominately surgical pathology, cytopathology, and involvement in departmental activities. Announced in May 2015, Sault Area Hospital now operates a Regional Forensic Pathology Unit. It is only one of seven currently operating in the province. Participation in medicolegal autopsy service is an option.Company
Sault Area Hospital
To assist Medical Laboratory Technologists by the performance of technical tasks requiring minimal supervision and that do not require the exercise of independent judgment.
1. Procure blood samples.
2. Prepare sample for analysis (e.g. separation numbering – including referral specimens).
3. Prepare reagents, media and smears (e.g. blood films).
4. Stain smears.
5. Coverslip slide preparations.
6. Concentrate stool samples for Parasitology examinations.
7. Plant and streak microbiology specimens and controls, including set-up of anaerobic and CO2 jars, for reading by a Medical Laboratory Technician.
8. Subculture stock cultures in Bacteriology.
9. Titration using a pH meter.
10. Urinalysis (excluding microscopic).
11. Record quality control results for interpretation and approval by qualified staff as listed above.
12. Operate automated instruments after proper functioning has been established by qualified staff as listed above.
13. Set-up of erythrocyte sedimentation rates.
14. Set-up of micro hematocrits.
15. Set-up of serology tests (e.g. occult blood, pregnancy test – to be read and interpreted immediately by a Medical Laboratory Technician).
16. Routine equipment maintenance.
17. Monitor temperature of thermally controlled equipment.
18. Transcribe results from worksheets to reports.
19. File records and retrieve files.
20. Wash glassware.
21. Prepare kits.
22. Other duties as assigned.
1. Certification by the Ontario Society of Medical Technologists (or other professional body) as Laboratory Assistant (or higher)
2. Ability to work effectively and efficiently as a team member in a fast paced environment in stressful situations.
3. Customer service, interpersonal and telephone skills.
4. Computer literacy in a Microsoft environment.
5. Ability to maintain successful working relationships with the interdisciplinary team to achieve positive patient outcomes.
6. Ability to organize time effectively to perform the duties of the position.
7. Ability to meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner.
8. Behavior consistent with Hospital Mission, Values and Standards of Performance.
9. Human relations skills including empathy, sensitivity, understanding of human and organizational behavior, motivational techniques and counseling skills (e.g. teaching patients).
10. Ability to read, write and communicate to perform the duties of the position.
11. Knowledge of laboratory equipment maintenance and operation required.
12. Knowledge of sterile tissue culture conditions as required by assigned area.
13. Proficiency in English and French preferred.
shift work , days, evening, night, weekend and holidays
$26.83 – 30.93 hourly
750 Great Northern Road
705-759-3434 ext. 6921
Job Posting Link