Medical Laboratory Technologist 1, Virology 21-0485
Public Health Ontario
Great people, exceptional teams building a stronger Public Health Ontario.We are Public Health Ontario (PHO). We live our values as a shared promise to each other, our clients and our partners. We value credibility, innovation, responsiveness, collaboration, integrity and respect. With our partners in Ontario's health system, we monitor and address the needs of the population by providing the scientific evidence and expert guidance that shapes policies and practices for a healthier Ontario. With locations across Ontario, we are working to ensure that Ontario has the strongest public health system in the world so that every day Ontarians wake up in one of the safest places to live in the world.For more information about PHO, visit www.publichealthontario.ca
661 University Avenue
To perform testing and provide accurate and timely reporting of clinical and environmental laboratory tests as part of a team of laboratory professionals, within quality policies and technical procedures.
- Conducts standardized medical/clinical tests and procedures for the isolation, quantification, identification, molecular testing and antimicrobial susceptibility testing of clinically significant bacteria, fungi, parasites, viruses and associated antibodies.
- Reports and relays results to health care providers within acceptable turnaround time (TAT) as published by PHO Laboratory.
- Authorizes the release of laboratory test results and discusses test results with clients within the restriction of College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO) regulations.
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality as outlined by PHO corporate policies.
- Carries out established quality assurance and control procedures including proficiency testing to ensure quality outcomes.
- Performs review of daily quality control (QC) materials and take appropriate actions to resolve any discrepancies in QC material that falls outside the acceptable ranges.
- Maintains and monitors equipment and supplies to ensure operability.
- Provides direction and guidance to Laboratory Attendants responsible for supporting MLTs and senior staff and assists with training new staff.
- Provides technical assistance to Senior Technologists and Operational Lead in carrying out testing and/or special projects.
- Performs activities to support the laboratory's Quality Management Program and Institute for Quality Management in Healthcare (IQMH) requirements.
Knowledge and Skills-
- Knowledge of computer applications to utilize standard and laboratory information systems.
- Knowledge of Institute for Quality Management in Healthcare (IQMH) requirements to ensure compliance in the conduct of laboratory testing.
- Knowledge of PHO policies and protocols and PHO Laboratory code of conduct to ensure confidentiality in the release of test results and discussions with clients.
- Oral communication and interpersonal skills to liaise with laboratory staff and with health care providers to relay laboratory test results.
- Interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Written communication skills to write standard operating procedures, complete records.
Education and Experience-
- Mandatory: Certification in good standing with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO).
- Knowledge of and the ability to perform medical and/or environmental laboratory techniques/ procedures, laboratory safety practices and utilize medical laboratory equipment in the conduct of standardized medical/clinical tests and procedures.
Full-Time, Must be available for shift work weekdays & weekends
Compensation Group: OPSEU Salary: $31.88 to $40.88
10 Temporary 12-month contracts available immediately.
480 University Avenue, Suite 300
Job Posting Link