Medical Laboratory Technologist – Calian
Calian hires health care professionals to work with our client, the Department of National Defence. Our teams work on multi-disciplinary teams located on Canadian Armed Forces Bases across the country.Please visit our website for further information:www.calian.com
About the role:
As a Medical Laboratory Technologist with Calian, you will be working in the laboratory at Base Borden.
This is a short-term role, ideal for candidates looking to gain interesting experience in a unique work environment.
In this role you will enjoy the benefits of working with an established team of professionals, whose goal is to support the health and wellbeing of the Canadian Armed Forces military service members.
Accuracy, teamwork and a patient-oriented approach will ensure your success in this role.
In a typical day you may:
• Perform all required duties of a laboratory technologist in the disciplines of Hematology, Chemistry, Microbiology and Urinalysis
• Perform venipuncture procedures
• Process laboratory reports as per established procedures and ensure immediate follow up action for all abnormal results
• Process and refer specimens to other laboratories
• Perform administrative tasks following analyses results from the laboratory and for analyses conducted in other centres and compiles statistical data
• Perform calibration, quality control and preventative maintenance on all laboratory instrumentation as per standard operating procedures to ensure a high standard of functional operation
• Organize workload and process specimens according to priority
• Perform safe work practices by applying the principles of universal precautions and laboratory safety guidelines. Know and adhere to Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS)
• Assist the laboratory housekeeping duties (disinfecting of lab benches, disposal of biomedical waste)
• Membership with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS)
• Registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO)
Type of Assignment: This is a short-term contract. Full time hours are available but part-time hours may be considered.