Medical Laboratory Technologist (Cytogenetics, Molecular Genetics)
Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute located in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.OICR is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science.For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
661 University Avenue, Toronto, ON
The Translational Genomics Laboratory (TGL), a department of OICR Genomics, is seeking a Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT) registered with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO) to join our team of licensed professionals. Your laboratory expertise in clinical genomics will assist in the discovery of actionable variants that impact patient care in provincial and national investigative trials conducted in Canada and through the Terry Fox Marathon of Hope Cancer Centre Network. We collaborate extensively with medical geneticists, oncologists, pathologists and informaticians to accelerate innovation and clinical discovery.
If you have expertise in sequencing library construction (whole genome, transcriptome and targeted ctDNA panels), Illumina sequencing technology or microarrays, we would like to hear from you! Experience working in a CAP/CLIA/IQMH environment is beneficial, but training will be provided by our Quality Assurance Program Management Team. Please include a paragraph detailing your career aspirations and goals in your cover letter. OICR supports a continuous learning environment and educational development opportunities. Please attach your cover letter, CMLTO license and resume as a single PDF document. For more information about PM-OICR TGL, please review our website https://labs.oicr.on.ca/translational-genomics-laboratory.
• Learn and perform standard operating procedures (SOPs) for CAP/IQMH whole genome, transcriptome assays and targeted sequencing
• Participate in advanced molecular assays including targeted ctDNA and cell free methylated DNA immunoprecipitation (cfMeDIP)
• Develop and enhance working knowledge of molecular biology techniques as applied to clinical genomics and/or genomic interpretation platforms
• Comply with OICR’s Quality Managment Program documentation processes
• Become an expert in utilization of OICR’s MISO Library Information System (LIMS), JIRA/wiki project tracking tools, cBioPortal and other digital tracking modules
• Occasionally perform detail oriented tasks that may include: purification of nucleic acids from biological samples including blood, plasma and tumor tissue (fresh and frozen, macrodissection)
• Be able to independently monitor quality control metrics at various stages of an SOPs and maintain/ utilize QC databases and portals
• Maintain digital documentation in a timely manner to facilitate team based processes
• Support multiple teams and/or shared responsibilities and adapt to shifting prioritization
• Communicate effectively within TGL and OICR Genomics Departments
• Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT), registered with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO)
35 hours per week
Commensurate with experience
Applications are accepted through OICR's career website:
Project Manager, PM-OICR TGL
661 University Avenue