Medical Laboratory Technologist (Cytology/Histology)
Grey Bruce Health Services
Grey Bruce Health Services is a multi-site health care corporation with six hospital locations across Grey and Bruce Counties. Located 2 hours north of Toronto on the shores of Georgian Bay and Lake Huron, Grey-Bruce offers the perfect combination of natural paradise and urban convenience, appealing to recreation and cultural enthusiasts’ alike. In order to provide excellent medical care close to home for the approximately 150,000 residents, Grey Bruce Health Services runs a large secondary-level acuity Hospital in Owen Sound, as well as five small rural Hospitals in Lion’s Head, Wiarton, Southampton, Markdale and Meaford, each offering 24-hour Emergency care and a range of inpatient and ambulatory services.
As a member of the Laboratory Services Team, the Medical Laboratory Technologist works under the supervision of the Director of Laboratory Services and the coordination of the Charge Technologist works within his/her scope of professional practice in a team environment to collect samples and is responsible for performing a variety of diagnostic tests on patient specimens, for analysing and interpreting test results and prepare reports to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. The Medical Laboratory Technologist must be knowledgeable and practice in accordance with the Medical Laboratory Technology regulatory bodies including, CMLTO, Institute for Quality Management in Healthcare (IQMH), and Hospital regulations and standards. In alignment with the GBHS strategic priorities, the Medical Laboratory Technologist may participate in user groups, and hospital-wide activities and programs and contribute to quality improvement and risk management initiatives as required.
• Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science Degree or College Certificate in Medical Laboratory Technology
• Current registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO) and authorized to practice in both Cytology and Histology
• Graduate from a recognized Diagnostic Cytotechnologist program and certification with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS)
• 2 years’ clinical experience as Cytologist preferably in a hospital setting
• Demonstrates excellent knowledge of human anatomy and physiology
• Understand and use lab and hospital software systems (i.e. LIS, Document management system)
• Ability to interact effectively with others within and outside of the organization (i.e. staff physicians, patients, suppliers, Ministry of Health)
• Diplomacy and understanding others’ point of view
• Ability to maintain accurate records and documentation
• Experience with large and small analyzers, dedicated machines, calibration and microscopes
• Ability to work all shifts including stand-by and call back as required
• Is a strong team player that has the ability to function effectively in a team environment
• Skills in leadership, problem solving, decision making and critical thinking
• Ability to handle exposures to infection, noise, odours, working interruptions and high pressure situations
• Highly motivated.
• Commitment to continuous learning
• Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality
• Ability to work all shifts, including weekends; ability for multi-site coverage when required
• Recent satisfactory performance and attendance records
• Knowledge of and adherence to GBHS ‘CARE’ Behaviours (Collaboration, Accountability, Respect, Excellence) and ‘LEAD’ Competencies (Lead by example, Empower, Achieve results, Develop others)
• Advocates and supports a culture of patient safety and demonstrates an understanding of how the department service and assigned responsibilities contribute to overall patient safety at GBHS through patient safety knowledge, skills and attitudes
$32.99 - $44.22 / hour
How to Apply:
In order to be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to the Human Resources department by email at email@example.com. Please quote competition number #089-21 on your application.
Thank you for your interest in employment at Grey Bruce Health Services. We have many exciting opportunities available. GBHS is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace for all. Please notify Human Resources of any accommodation needs you may have during the recruitment and selection process. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All information is collected for recruitment purposes only and will be held in strict confidence by GBHS.
1800 8th Street East
Job Posting Link